Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil Info

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Oil Info

So, how often do you need to change your oil?

Throw that out on the forums and you'll get 10 pages of (different) answers.

Since I run the best oil, Amsoil , it ends up being a $50 oil change. The "book" interval does not really make much sense with track duty mixed with street riding, or track only duty in the case of my race bike, a CBR 600rr.

I love real data. I have decided to start an experiment. You can get your oil analyzed pretty cheap nowadays ($28).

I ran to where I felt I needed to change, which was 486 track only miles in this case. This was about 25 on track sessions counting practice and races. All of them would have been hard running. I changed the oil, then sent in the sample.

Drumroll...

The oil was still in good shape! I'm going to go to about 750 miles next time, which basically pays for this analysis. I'll share those results in a few months.

They did note some silica in there, which may be from a bad air filter. I've actually never changed it, but it always looked ok visually from the front air scoops. Maybe there is a bad spot or a seal not making. Either way, I'm ordering a new one. Bonus datapoint.

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy this.

Bike #
    Kasey Lewis also does extensive oil analysis on his oil. All of his samples come back with 2-4% fuel dilution usually from the endurance races.

Also how are oil changes costing you $50?
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
    Kasey Lewis also does extensive oil analysis on his oil. All of his samples come back with 2-4% fuel dilution usually from the endurance races.

Also how are oil changes costing you $50?
    Mine had just a trace of fuel and they said it was well within normal limits.

3.x quarts of synthetic at about $10 per quart plus a $12 filter = ~$50

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You are paying to much for your oil analysis.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    And the oil

Also, consider changing filter every other oil change
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Change it after every race weekend or one day of endurance. I don't need to have my oil tested to know that's probably best for the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David Proler, CMRA Expert #65
    Raceworx • Galfer • Vesrah • Sidi Boots • Incase
    212 Decals • South Central Race Center • Pirelli

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    Can you please share a better source?

Thanks

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Henke View Post
    And the oil

Also, consider changing filter every other oil change
    I'll skip the rabbit hole of synthetic vs conventional. Every one has their own opinions and rationale. This was exactly why I paid to get real information and not just guess like I have done for years.
    I just hoped someone might benefit from this data and find it helpful for their own decisions.
    YMMV

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I wasn't commenting on syn vs non. Just that Rotella is the bomb. Don't you want triple protection, to control wear, deposits and emissions, and a 22% reduction in engine wear? Sounds like energized protection to me. And it's delicious, to boot!

It would be interesting to see oil analysis after a 6hr on the SV with Rotella
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I use the Shell Rotella T6 and had mine tested at 237 miles and said all was good. Here is what my report said:

Wear looks pretty good in this Suzuki engine, but that's to be expected on a short run such as this. The far right column shows average results for this type engine at 1,100 miles of oil use. Metals are at good levels, but we found some silicon in the sample. That's from one of three sources: dirt getting past the air cleaner, sealants used during service, or dirt from sampling. Since this sat in an open pan before getting into the bottle, it may be from that. The trace of fuel is small enough to be harmless, and the TBN was strong. Check back in ~1,000 miles for trends.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org