Thread: 07/08 GSXR 1000 Gearing

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

07/08 GSXR 1000 Gearing

Hello,

I saw a thread some time ago about gearing tips on a R6 - My question is exactly the same for a different bike, so I just thought it would be a good idea to keep it as separate thread instead of highjacking the previous one.

I'm using -1/+2 (16T45 = 2.81 Gearing) everywhere - I'm not nearly as fast as the experts here (22's are my times in Cresson) but wanted to start playing a little bit with gearing, as I'm basically riding 2nd and 3rd at Cresson, and up to 4th at ECR (2:00s laps) and 5th at TWS (1:56s laps) - That makes me think I could shorten that gearing a bit to something more like 16T47 or even 15T45.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Tnks,
    marcelo.
    Last edited by Marcelo Fartura; 09-28-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I found -1 front (16) with stock rear (43) worked best for me on my 07 1000 at TWS

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Brown View Post
    I found -1 front (16) with stock rear (43) worked best for me on my 07 1000 at TWS
    Thank you! How about Cresson?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    all of this is going to be preference on how you like it and a lot of guys have the same bike and run different gearing (similar but different) and i know this cause i do exactly what you are doing... and ask

the best thing you can do is just play with it... buy some extras and you can fine tune how you want the gearing for the way you ride

cresson = 15/43 was a good setup to start with at cresson and actually a lot of any other track we race on, except tws

mostly what i had for that bike, before it was stolen , was a 15 and 16 front and a 43 44 45 rear and that covered it for me

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Brown View Post
    ..the best thing you can do is just play with it... buy some extras and you can fine tune how you want the gearing for the way you ride
    Thank you again for the insight, yes, that's exactly what I intend to do - get some extra sprockets and do some tests. I don't have 43 (OEM) any longer as I converted to 520 when changed to -1/+2. But I will get a 15 and 47 and this way I can test a good number of combinations until I find what works best for me.
    The bike actually feels good as is, it just triggered my curiosity because, like I said, I'm running Cresson all the way in 2nd and 3rd only - But this could also just be because I'm not fast enough to push the bike enough to need a 4th there yet .

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    16/43 is the best for TWS. IMO
    Dewayne Davis #680
    RaceworX, M-4, Dunlop, Bison Leathers,
    TMP M/C Parts, Monkey Moto, NTXSBKS,
    Lawton/Altus Motorsports,
    Southern Adrenaline