Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins deal?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Ohlins deal?

Hey guys, so I'm buying ohlins 25mm carts w/ stock forks and ttx rear that apparently came off Josh Herrin's old bike and went onto a 2008 R6, going onto my 2012 R6, for $1750 and only been used roughly 3 races since it's last service. Finalized the deal but haven't purchased yet, does this sound like a good deal? Or for the extra $500ish bucks worth it for a brand new set?

Was it Josh's 2008? That seems a bit high for 9 year old stuff to me. Or was it off of a more recent bike and just got put on an '08?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    It was put onto a 2008, not sure where they came from before that tbh.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Just asked, he said they came from his bike in 2008... so you are correct. 9 year old stuff.

If they've been serviced and kept up to date, are they still decent? That price does seem a bit high when for $500 more I can get brand new.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    He said it's been serviced by the best in the business. I'm not too familiar with ohlins and how long they're good for if they've been serviced properly.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    $500 is a small price to pay for the confidence you are betting your life on

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Morris View Post
    $500 is a small price to pay for the confidence you are betting your life on
    I agree with Zach. Who does he say is the best in the business? :D Sure, stuff that old can be fine, even great but that seems like a premium price to me. For $500, I'd buy new. You know for sure that it's good. If there is anything wrong, you'll burn through that $500 pretty fast getting it fixed. It's not like it's double the difference either. It's less than a 30% premium.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You guys are forgetting you can't just walk in somewhere and buy the 25mm carts anymore.

With that said, whoever you buy used suspension from I would always consider just having it rebuilt before ever riding on it.
    Everyone's stuff has 2 rides on it since last serviced when it goes up for sale. Even your best friends **** that is brand new, is ragged to hell, we race motorcycles. Just figure it needs to be rebuilt.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Well I bit the bullet and bought these. He said they were rebuilt by an Andy Palmer and cost $1,000 for the rebuild last year and only had 3 rides on it. How true that is, I am not sure. He also was telling me how you can't really get the good quality 25mm carts anymore either and that the 30mm ones are ****. Lol, like I said I'm not too experienced with suspension so not sure how true that is.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    UPDATE: I decided not to purchase the 9 year old 25mm carts and rear shock. I'm going to buy brand new from David Joy. The piece of mind of buying brand new just out-weighs the fact of how glorious 25mm carts may be and that they came off Josh Herrin's bike. Lol