Bike #

Grom fork seals

Honda or aftermarket? Which brand?

Thanks
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I've never put fork seals in a Grom, but I have in lots of other things. Once upon a time there was only OEM and everything else, in that order. But these days there's much less of a difference in quality and quality control. I've had good luck with SKF (which KTM uses, but can be had in a lot of sizes), NOK, All Balls and Outlaw Racing and Tusk (the last two are, I think, underrated brands). I installed some Tusk fork seals in a YZ250 a month ago. The owner said he had installed "some new seals" in December and they were "leaking already, so they must be cheap". When I took the legs apart, it turned out that both seals were OEM Yamaha BUT they appeared to have been installed with a punch or a screwdriver as they had dings and were misshapen and obviously damaged. I put the new seals in (don't forget the RaceTech seal grease!) and they've been sealing ever since.

Remember, too, that a seal doesn't have to just seal to be good, it also should be very low drag (stiction).

But Google "best fork seal" and see how many answers you get. It's like Googlng "what's the best oil?" YMMV and I'm sure suspension folks here will have different brands of choice.

In a perfect world, we'd all replace fork oil and seals once a year (or maybe more), depending on the service use. It's a hydraulic system prone to wear and tear. Use Shand Garcia's Shock Sox on your legs. And put them on your fork legs, too.

https://bermmotorsports.com/
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Thanks Linz.
    Better Dead than Red