Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMRA race number

Status
    Novice

CMRA race number

Hey so in the midst of my last minute TWS CMRA race prep, Im installing my numbers on my number plates. I've got an RSV4 known for their tiny sharp edged tails, Im obviously having some issue getting a 6" number on it, much less 3 of them. Nonetheless I was able to fit 3" numbers on there. Anyone have an RSV4 or know a friend with one that can confirm an exception for my anti-number plate friendly tail? The numbers are obviously small but very legible and evenly spaced and fill the yellow numberplate properly

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Steven,

We've had a few race the RSV4...my advice is to work with the folks in tech as soon as you get there to come up with the best plan. Maybe even wait to install the numbers. It only takes a few minutes to apply them. Would suck to have to re-install.

Are you there Friday?
    Allen Dye

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Stinehour View Post
    The numbers are obviously small but very legible and evenly spaced and fill the yellow numberplate properly
    Hi Steven,

The 3" numbers may be legible standing still, but may not be at speed going down the front straight at TWS. In case of electronic scoring failure, our manual scorers have to be able to read the numbers as bikes go zooming by. The final word will be Tech and our manual scorers.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    To give the manual scorers the best chance to read your number, make sure the front is as big as it can be. That's what they see for the longest amount of time. You can use yellow vinyl/Krylon and cover the inside of the windscreen up past the dashboard to increase area. You can fit 4" on the tail, assuming your # is 3 digits and the first digit is a 1.

Also, never forget your fully charged transponder.
    CMRA BOD 2011-13, 2013-16
    AF1 Racing
    ted AT af1racing DOT com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Definitely start with Tech and the scorers. At TWS, especially, bikes are scored from the front straight, which means the scorers are at an angle to the bikes coming down the straightaway. The speed of the bikes and the distance the scorers sit from the track can make for some very tough to read numbers if they are not placed correctly. The size (height) of the numbers is important, but in my years of working in Tech and working first-hand with the manual scorers (one of which was my daughter for several years), placement is also paramount, meaning the side of the bike the numbers are on (because "wrapping" them across the fairing means, perhaps, the number on the far side may not be able to be read), and the spacing between the numerals is critical.

This may also help: http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread...ht=bad+numbers
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Novice
    Okay, thank y'all for the input! All i can do is hope they pass it lol. the numbers on the front are pretty big and legible. Ill be up there saturday afternoon

Status
    Novice
    Yeah ive got 326. all have some decent size to them. so i could only get about 3 inches

Isn't it now acceptable to have your number plates on the sides of your lower?
    http://www.cmraracing.com/Rulebook/2...ok_1-21-17.pdf
    Page 18 section 5.4

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Linz Leard View Post
    Based on some numbers I have seen recently, I think a Part II of this thread is needed.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Anderson View Post
    Isn't it now acceptable to have your number plates on the sides of your lower?
    http://www.cmraracing.com/Rulebook/2...ok_1-21-17.pdf
    Page 18 section 5.4
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith View Post
    Based on some numbers I have seen recently, I think a Part II of this thread is needed.
    Agreed. Maybe I will start this up again.

Both are good numbers. 34 is an example of great numbers. Basic, well-sized and placed. 817 is perhaps a little small because of three digits creating a bit of crowding, but they are not bad, and contrast is nice. I might not call them great, but they are quite good.

Name:  34-1903x1267.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  399.8 KB

These are very nice numbers. This shot was taken from where the TWS scorers sit, although zoomed more than the eye. At speed, these are easy to read. Well spaced and nicely sized.

Name:  11-1903x1268.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  477.4 KB

This is the same bike as above, but with a different rider, hence a different bike number. The 2 has been improvised with duct tape. While it looks fair here, we have zooming and cropping to thank for that. To the naked eye at speed, the 2 much less good (but far from the worst numbers I have seen).

Name:  21-1903x1267.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  393.4 KB
    Last edited by Linz Leard; 06-19-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer