Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels made in China?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Wheels made in China?

While at Friday practice (TWS) I drove wide on turn 4 and bent the rim on the front. In the search for a wheel Im seeing alot of wheels made in China and I am questioning the quality. I work for one of the Chemical plants and our supply chain can't buy anything from China due to quality issues, dose anyone have any experience with the Chinese wheels?
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I would just order a used good condition wheel of eBay

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by James DeFrain View Post
    While at Friday practice (TWS) I drove wide on turn 4 and bent the rim on the front. In the search for a wheel Im seeing alot of wheels made in China and I am questioning the quality. I work for one of the Chemical plants and our supply chain can't buy anything from China due to quality issues, dose anyone have any experience with the Chinese wheels?
    Materials and quality control in China is hit or miss, mostly miss. I would do as Jacob suggested and buy a used OEM wheel.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Very good, thanks for the insight.
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I had the same dilemma trying to find Triumph wheels. I opted to put my life in the hands of a new set of OEM, although they were much more expensive. As you know from your work, you really can't get a handle on any QC from China. Imagine a wheel cracking apart at 150+ at TWS.
    '13 and '17 Daytonas
    '14 Duc 1199R
    '14 Grom
    South Central Race Center
    Pirelli

A bit off subject, but is there any talk of allowing carbon fiber wheels in the future? They're legal in WERA and CCS.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    There's a few places that fix wheels cheap as well.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Clark View Post
    A bit off subject, but is there any talk of allowing carbon fiber wheels in the future? They're legal in WERA and CCS.
    Put this question in Board / Staff discussion area and we will make an agenda item of it.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Wife scrubbed my brand new car's wheel against a curb. I was at the dealership talking to the salesman (getting my tags) and mentioned picking one up off of amazon or whatever cheap oem-knock off I could get. He said those wheels sometimes break and he wouldn't recommend it. I was sure he was going to recommend buying an OEM wheel from them for a billion dollars but he said they used a guy who could repair them. I still pretty much thought he was full of it.

Month or two later, chatting with a co-worker about a car he restored, and he had to replace a couple of damaged wheels. When he got it out on the road, he was driving along and one of the front wheels BROKE (didn't say he even hit a pothole) and the change to the chassis pulled him off the road and into a tree where the (not very valuable) car was totaled.

That was enough for me. I don't know how common this is, and I really didn't believe the salesman, but in conjunction with the co-worker's story, that was enough to shy me away from them for my car, much less for a racebike.

YMMV, IANAL, etc.
    David B.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Hi James!

It was great meeting you!

If you could find a good, straight OEM wheel on eBay (as suggested earlier), that would be in my opinion, the best route. As Linz said, China quality is suspect. My mom always told me....you buy cheap, you pay twice.

Good luck!

Heinz
    Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty