Thread: Air Fence

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Air Fence

Digging back through old posts in the forum it looks like the CMRA had some air fencing at one point? Is there a reason it isn't being used anymore? Am I wrong and it never existed?

I know the folks in charge work hard to keep the racing safe for everyone, and I know some air fence would have really helped me out at NOLA. All of my injuries came from impacting the tire wall and I didn't even hit it all that fast. Obviously, there are a few spots at other tracks where the same danger exists. I assume it is capital cost + maintenance cost prohibitive and that is why we are not using air fence. Because to me it seems like if there is any money available to spend on safety improvement that would be at the top of my list. Just thought I'd ask!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Kyle,

The CMRA ownes 15 sections of Airfence. 12 of those sections are curently in service. We currently deploy those sections at MSRH and HMRC.

If memory serves in your crash the bike chased you into the tire wall. Airfence wouldn't do much in that situation. Either way we will be deploying Airfence in that area in 2018.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Ah, gotcha. Did not notice that before, but then again I wasn't ever looking for it before! Good to know. Thanks for the reply.