Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Brands

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Pence View Post
    Man I ran over that gen with my van. I'm lucky it even works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I did the same thing to my Yamaha. Ran it over in my truck, well I hit it good.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

I hate to say it, but Snap on is the way to go. I've used mine a hundred times a day for the last 6 or 7 years and I've yet to have an issue with them. The problem with rotor bolts is they are very shallow and leave little room for error. So having a quality tool that is reliable is what counts. I use mine with electric impacts and regular ratchets and torque wrenches all the time. The cars I work on are picky and like when things are torqued properly. Buy quality and you won't have a problem.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Boyd View Post
    you won't find an impact with a torque setting (if I'm wrong, PLEASE show me one and I'll buy it). I've been down this road. Impact drivers are best for removing. Using them to torque down fasteners is risky. That being said, on my R6 I made a witness mark using a punch at the top/side of the rear axle where it's visible near the chain adjuster. Then I torqued the nut to spec and made a mental note of where the safety wire hole is. Now the position is repeatable so I can (carefully) use my impact driver on the rear axle nut.
    I'll snag one and see how it likes and impact, my guess is not so much lol

Powerbuilt 940962 1/2" Drive Digital Torque Adapter, 29 to 147 ft-lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085WMOOU..._O-lRzbXH0VA40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tools, TVs, phones, watches, or whatever..... If you do a just a little research and buy a known brand name that costs just a little above average, you will probably be happy. Not always........but usually.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I bought the Husky set from Home Depot, and it rounded out the first bolt I tried to undo...guess I'm going to have to fork out the tokens for a good Snap-On set.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rab McNaught View Post
    I bought the Husky set from Home Depot, and it rounded out the first bolt I tried to undo...guess I'm going to have to fork out the tokens for a good Snap-On set.
    If it is rounding your bolts, the material must be aluminum or something on the softer side.
    I would think they are either over torqued or they have Loctite.
    Have you tried heating just the bolt head? Use a small torch and stay away from the wheel bearings.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I overtighten everything, and use blue loctite, which is part of the issue, but yeah, I've found some bolt materials to just be made of chocolate and if the allen head isn't spot on, they just round out.

Need to get better at that.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Better bolts are the key. I try to use stainless steel bolts with the same size head or socket on as many things a possible on Treys bikes. Fewer tools required and less chance of rounding off/out. ProBolts sells predrilled bolts in all sizes and lengths in stainless steel.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless...race-spec.html
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Better bolts are the key. I try to use stainless steel bolts with the same size head or socket on as many things a possible on Treys bikes. Fewer tools required and less chance of rounding off/out. ProBolts sells predrilled bolts in all sizes and lengths in stainless steel.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless...race-spec.html
    Thanks. I tried probolt for my supermoto brake disc bolts, since they were rounding out. They just couldn't find the exact dimensions I needed, but I admit, their stuff is really good...not cheap, but cheaper than wasting time drilling out rounded out bolts.
    Rab McNaught #430