Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Brands

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Tool Brands

Hi,

I've had issues with Hex sockets recently rounding out the bolts that hold in important things like rotors onto wheels. I wish every manufacturer used Torx for things like this. KTM's and Husky's do this for the most part and they work well. It's a real problem when this happens.

I've tried Craftsman from Sears and Duralast from Autozone and they don't fit very well into bolts. Not surprisingly because they are cheap. I don't want to go with the huge expense of Snap-on...what other brands which are mid-range do people use and are they easy to get ahold of? I'd want to order online and have stuff shipped to me.

Rab
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You talking about the R6?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8...BSSR/203559457

I have one of these sets and they work great. I use a impact to break the allen bolts loose cause I use Loctite on them. I have broken one of these bits before. Walk into Home Depot with the set and they hand you a new set.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    It was actually the custom brake on the supermoto...also called a husky LOL.

I'll try the Home Depot brand then. I'm nervous about using an impact on allen bolts as I've had them strip from that shock.

Actually while we are on the topic of impacts. I was looking for a cordless impact with 1/2 inch drive where you could set the torque setting, for example, if you want your rear wheel set to 91 ft lb, can you set a cordless impact to tighten to that. I'm guessing this is what the heavyweight endurance guys use for wheel changes. It might have even been you that I saw post looking for something similar.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Are you sure there's not some OEM tool?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Torx and hex key suck if you strip or "round" them. Usually nothing to grab, unlike hex head. If you're using 12-point sockets, that's a primary problem. Get 6-point. Always make sure you're fully engaged on a clean head and cranking in the correct plane. Don't overtighten and don't rely on your old torque wrench. With thread locker and safety wire options, there's no need, generally speaking. My torque wrench is my own wrist, and it accounts for material age and condition, as well as application.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Yeah, I posted on FB about an impact.
    I haven't seen any where you can set the tq to a specific number.
    I have seen like 3 spd settings but that it just general.

I got in contact with Brian from Mac tools. (he is tagged in the FB post)
    He is a racer and went over a lot of options and what was good and bad.
    Settled for a Dewalt 400 ft lb model. Buying from him cost a little more but he went over everything with me and that is worth something.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Harbor freight electric impact. How often do you really need it? The hf one costs 40$ and has better power than my air one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rab McNaught View Post
    It was actually the custom brake on the supermoto...also called a husky LOL.

I'll try the Home Depot brand then. I'm nervous about using an impact on allen bolts as I've had them strip from that shock.

Actually while we are on the topic of impacts. I was looking for a cordless impact with 1/2 inch drive where you could set the torque setting, for example, if you want your rear wheel set to 91 ft lb, can you set a cordless impact to tighten to that. I'm guessing this is what the heavyweight endurance guys use for wheel changes. It might have even been you that I saw post looking for something similar.
    you won't find an impact with a torque setting (if I'm wrong, PLEASE show me one and I'll buy it). I've been down this road. Impact drivers are best for removing. Using them to torque down fasteners is risky. That being said, on my R6 I made a witness mark using a punch at the top/side of the rear axle where it's visible near the chain adjuster. Then I torqued the nut to spec and made a mental note of where the safety wire hole is. Now the position is repeatable so I can (carefully) use my impact driver on the rear axle nut.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Pence View Post
    Harbor freight electric impact. How often do you really need it? The hf one costs 40$ and has better power than my air one

Yeah, just like that generator you got.
    Novice #728
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    Yeah, just like that generator you got.
    Man I ran over that gen with my van. I'm lucky it even works.