Thread: Interested in joining or starting lightweight endurance team

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Interested in joining or starting lightweight endurance team

I am interested in getting my CMRA license and getting into endurance racing. Is it better to sort out a bike and team first or get my license and try and buy into an existing team and try and fill in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    It would probably be easier getting a team together and going in on a former race bike. Teams sometimes have reservations about adding riders that have a yellow shirt. Whatever you do, you are going to have a lot of fun! The CMRA paddock is full of people that are always asking how they we can help. Get your license and come join the fun! See you on the grid

Seth,
    Hard to give you advice without know some of your variables first.

Are you familiar with bikes and bike maintenance? Are you new to track riding or do you do track days? Do you own your own bike? Etc...etc...etc...

What advice I can give you....it's nice to have your own bike for track-time if the team doesn't have a back-up or the team bikes takes a dump one particular weekend...at least you can still have some fun!

If you haven't already, I'd spectate some and see what it all looks like and what it takes...time, investment, etc...

18 years at it...some successful, some not so successful, but always good people around to take the sting off a bad weekend!

Good Luck!

Derek Thomas
    CMRA #471

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Yep... our team was nothing but yellow shirts. I'm betting we were the only one's comfortable with each other. ;)

We bought a Ninja 250 that was already race-prepped and we simply made a few modifications and slapped our number on it. If you do your research, you can find one very reasonably priced... and parts are easy to find too.

Had an awesome season and developed a lot of new skills on that little bike as well as some awesome relationships with fellow teams. Everyone tries to help each other.

Here's a run down of our season: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/ Scroll all the way to the bottom and start reading up for reports from our formation of the team, buying the bike, race reports, incidents & crashes, repairs, etc.

Had... a... blast!
    Last edited by Bob Moyer; 11-28-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    2009 GSXR 750 (Race), 2001 YZF426 (Dirt), 2014 GL1800 ("Sport" Touring), 2013 Super Tenere (ADV), 2015 CB500F (Daughter's), 2012 Zuma (Daughter's)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1574/2...888b15cd_n.jpg

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Thanks for the replies...I am very familiar with bikes and the basics. I did a dozen track days last year and run a healthy level 2 pace with ridesmart on a ‘15 Gsxr 750. I need more than the track days and have heard this is the way to go. Time to convince some of my buddies to go in on a ninja 300 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Expert
    Yamaha R-3 is a little more competitive , great thinking. You will learn TONS more racing and faster, then just doing track days. You will have a BLAST

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Seth
    I would enjoy talking to you about endurance, CMRA in general, the positives and the negatives.
    I have been racing for a long time and can tell you there are many considerations that are learned with experience.
    Racing in little bike endurance can put you on the track with 35-45 other racers at the same time. Racing in big bike can be half that number.
    Are you keeping your gsxr?
    Are you getting your license in Feb?
    Have you found a mentor (CMRA member who can help you through the first few races) or are you aware of the mentorship program?
    Please send me a private message. I look forward to getting to know you.

Sean

There are alot more opportunities proposed for ultra lightweight bikes for 2018. I would recommend the newly created ulw team 60. Two riders, bikes and 25 or so minutes of as hard as you can go...oh, and keep your perspective...there will be some guys and girls flying past you. Just stick to what you can do and have fun.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Thomas View Post
    ...I would recommend the newly created ulw team 60...
    Unless they change the rule, Prov Nov's are not allowed in T60
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Seth... I know you said you wanted an R3... but here's a steal on a Ninja 250:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&type=3&ifg=1
    2009 GSXR 750 (Race), 2001 YZF426 (Dirt), 2014 GL1800 ("Sport" Touring), 2013 Super Tenere (ADV), 2015 CB500F (Daughter's), 2012 Zuma (Daughter's)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1574/2...888b15cd_n.jpg