Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather tires

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Cold weather tires

With the race approaching in Feb what are the limitations of race DOT tires? I am currently running the Bridgestone R10 (2) which are great for my riding level when warm, but are like stone when cold. I question if the tires will hold the heat on a cold track, what is the consensus for tires racing in cold weather?
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    i raced all day at OHR in 22 degrees on DOT's. I had a ton of grip, until I didnt.
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    So just street tires? Not the racing DOTs that require warmers.
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by James DeFrain View Post
    So just street tires? Not the racing DOTs that require warmers.
    I honestly dont know.

I am sure somebody with better knowledge will chime in but its pretty chilly here and people seem to be running all three types of tires (street, DOT, Slick) with adjustments to softer compounds. I am sure one of the tire guys can give some input.
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I’m sure the consensus would be.... buy tire warmers? If you like the tires you run when warm, why not just always keep them warm and save heat cycles in the tires and save money!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I always use tire warmers, but if the weather and track are cold not sure the tires will hold the heat to keep them from turning to stone. I have a set of Bridgestone rs10 that are pretty gummy even in the cold, as this is my first winter on the track I was seeing what experienced racers do for inclement (cold) weather.
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I guess I was thrown off by your comment about using DOT’s that don’t require warmers? Never mentioned you use warmers (which is about all you can ask for in the cold and obviously speed holds the temp coming off warmers)
    It’s all going to be preference. You could ask 20 different people and could get 20 different answers. Like Christopher stated above, some will run DOT and some will run Slicks. Not so sure I’ve ever seen “street” tires used just because of the cold though. Nor have I seen a tire rep have a “street” tire on the rack just cause of the cold either.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I am guessing you are buying your tires from David Hirsch?
    I would start with him. He knows his stuff and it is part of the reason you buy from anyone of our tire vendors, for their knowledge.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Good advice I'll check with David, I was hoping to be little more prepared in the case of a cold track, but the weather here in Houston just shifted 50 degrees in a couple of days so probably won't know what to expect until Feb 11.

I researched the CMRA forum and found posts referencing races with temps in the 30s, they mentioned soft compound tires (which I don't have) and one statement to run rain tires. Thanks again.
    Last edited by James DeFrain; 01-19-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Nov #675
    Daytona 675r
    Aprilia Caponord
    Harley XR1200
    Ninja 250

Status
    Expert
    46 for a low with a high around 65 based on historical avgs for the past 80+ yrs in/near Angleton for Feb. 9-11
    Avg precipitation for the whole month is 3.5 inches. Feb has the least amount of rain compared to all the other months. You now have the data, what will you do?
    BOHICA-ModClassic Champ
    Lame Duc Racing
    Sport Rider Coaching #43 ULWE
    Torquasaurus #10 BBE-F2 Champ