Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Rain Light that is actually waterproof

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Waterproof Rain Light that is actually waterproof

I had a rain light failure because water had got inside the light and shorted it. It worked right up until I went out on the track and it got water inside it.

I use these, just stickytaped to the undertail - http://a.co/3QHwBAP or search Amazon for "LE USB CREE LED Super Bright Bike Rear Tail Light IPX4 Waterproof 5 Lighting Modes Red Safety Cycling Light - Fits on any Bicycles Helmet Backpack"

As you see above, the keyword "waterproof" is used, but there is nothing on it to suggest it is, ie no orings etc in it's assembly.

Anyone else recommend one which has been put through it's paces? I want something LED, and rechargeable via USB, not wired into the bike.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Just looking into this - they are listed as IPX4 which is a standard for how waterproof something it, and is described as Splash-Proof.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I used a cheap bicycle light, which gets used in similar scenarios. Not trusting any notion of a seal it has, I wrapped it in clear packaging tape. Done. Survived a couple rain races, including the 2016 deluge during the NOLA 6hr. Still ticking.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Henke View Post
    I used a cheap bicycle light, which gets used in similar scenarios. Not trusting any notion of a seal it has, I wrapped it in clear packaging tape. Done. Survived a couple rain races, including the 2016 deluge during the NOLA 6hr. Still ticking.
    That's a smart idea. I was thinking of using silicone sealer around anything that could get water in - I found this online tho http://a.co/g50KRtd which is IPX-6 rated..however you have to charge it from the back, so you can't just stick it onto the bike with a gopro mount sticky thing. Maybe velcro would work and you would just rip it off once a year to charge the sucker.
    Rab McNaught #430

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Rab, take a look at what i have done on the r3 and ebr. Highly durable because of the part and because of how it's mounted.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    "The time to worry about the availability and robustness of a rain light is just after you make the idiotic decision to buy rain tires and chase the points. "

- Me

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I was a little relieved that I had an excuse to sit this one out.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Mine have worked fine, survived several rain races over the last couple of years. Clear plastic or silicone can't hurt. Placement may be key as well.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Many of the rain lights I observed this weekend were poorly mounted and therefore barely visible. We’ll be issuing a rule book update shortly that will better define the placement of rain lights.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I used the Bell Arella its about 8$ on amazon and has a clip for easy mounting, works OK i guess.