Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into racing question

Getting back into racing question

After being out of road racing for the last 10-11 years. I raced in CCS Florida region, mid Atlantic region and WERA southeastern region for a few years or so 99-06 and a couple races in 07, now I’m looking at getting back into it.

My thoughts were to get into the modern classic class. I’m 40 now and have kids. I can’t be getting crazy and mixing it up with the kids on the 600’s anymore, lol When I raced a years ago the 600 class was stacked 30-50 deep and it definitely got a little crazy at times.

What’s a good somewhat competitive bike for that class ?

Would a 01 Yamaha R1 be competitive ?

I’m a big guy! 6’3 and around 225lb. So I don’t think the small bikes fit me all that well.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks
    Matt

Welcome back to racing! I don't race modern classic, so I can't comment on that aspect of your question, but I'll say that you would fit in just great with our Formula 40 class here. You'd be the "kid" a lot of those guys are mixing it up with - we've got no shortage of racers in their 50s and 60s! That said, F40 frequently winds up being our heaviest grid, so if you're looking for a more "open track" experience, you might want to wait a bit.

With your idea of racing in a less-chaotic environment, have you taken another look at lightweight racing? Grids are more manageable (10-20) and speeds are a bit lower. Racing an 01 R1 is great, but do you really want to come out for only one race per weekend? And the lightweight bikes are often roomier than even the liter bikes, so that should be another reason to consider them. I don't know what your budget is, but I bet a lot of guys would be interested to see what the new SV650s can do when put into full race trim

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I can tell you my buddy races a 01 ZX6 all stock and podiums in the modern classic class. So yes I would think a 01 R1 can be competitive depending on the racer.
    Just my input

Status
    Expert
    Hey Matt, welcome to the Family (CMRA) a great place to Race and Have Fun !!! Great People everywhere !

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Do you have the r1 already? Your size would exclude you from being competitive on a little bike (r3/ninja 250/300 ect). I think the little bikes are fun some people do not. They are much less $$ to get into and in tires.

Regardless a 01 r1 would be competitive in general. You can race 4 classes on sunday with the r1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Pence View Post
    Do you have the r1 already? Your size would exclude you from being competitive on a little bike (r3/ninja 250/300 ect). I think the little bikes are fun some people do not. They are much less $$ to get into and in tires.

Regardless a 01 r1 would be competitive in general. You can race 4 classes on sunday with the r1.

Thanks for all the great feedback!!! I really appreciate it. I do have the R1, have had it many many years and feel pretty comfortable on it. So my first thought was to do something with it.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wells View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback!!! I really appreciate it. I do have the R1, have had it many many years and feel pretty comfortable on it. So my first thought was to do something with it.
    I'd just race that then. You will likely have to retake the rider school which is on Fridays. What race are you planning on attending? I'd suggest showing up Thursday night before the race weekend and talking with Danny Dominguez he is the rider school coach and new rider mentor.

More than likely will be the MSR Houston race weekend in June. Should be plenty of time to get the bike ready and hopefully hit a couple of trackdays.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Welcome Matt! So I took a 13 year brake from racing, came back last year and it was awesome!!! Got my kids involved and I'm so glad I came back. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions. I haven't been around as long as most, but will help as much as I can.