Thread: Hallett CW

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Hallett CW

Question for Ryan and Walter: I think this has been asked before, but not for a while. Hallett CW is a blast, especially coming downhill into the ***** and downhill into the bus stop...and the bike pulling a wheelie when you get on the gas after bus stop up the hill...even my old beaten up KTM 520 supermoto would wheelie there...oh man!

I've heard it is too dangerous for us to race that direction, but I've never been clear on why? I've heard it is because of tire wall placement and distance from the track. We had a rider hurt in turn 1 last year going CCW even with an air fence, so clearly CCW isn't perfect either.

Just wondering:

What is the major 2-3 issues which stops us racing CW, and can we mitigate it with airfences?

I also have the same question for Houston...I'm guessing it is the lack of runoff going into the final corner CCW.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Damn profanity filters... *****
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Going CW there is an issue with run off on the exit of turn 1. There is a tire wall that can not be moved back due to a creek running behind it. You are correct about Houston.
    CMRA Asst. Race Director/Safety Officer/Medical Liaison/Outrider
    CMRA BoD Member 2018-2023
    Ex#29

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Ryan is correct. Its simply an issue of lack of runoff and speed.

Hallett:
    T1 CW there is only about 20 feet of runoff to the tire wall. With Airfence in place that narrows to 15 feet. On the other side of that tire wall and fence is a septic pond that cannot be moved.
    T3 CW there is a track crossing issue. If a rider coming down the hill from 4 cannot make the turn (loses brakes) that rider either goes through the corner station or crosses the track at the exit of 3.
    T7 CW not enough runoff for the entry speed.
    Hallett was designed to be run CCW. We have run it CW in the past but due to the issues we have had it was decided that CW was the best choice from a risk management perspective.

MSRH:
    T16 CCW the entry speed into T16 is to great for the limited runoff.
    T17 CCW the angle of attack to the pit wall is 90 degrees and there is zero room for recovery if a rider gets into trouble in this area.
    T1 CCW The pit in curbing, pit exit road, and the limited runoff are not ideal for motorcycle COMPETITION.
    T4 CCW a runoff in this turn will likely cross the track at the exit of T5. There is a high risk of a collision if this happens.
    MSRH was designed originally to be run CCW and many orgs do run it that direction. MSRH was also designed with mainly automobile testing and competition in mind. Motorcycles were an afterthought. Thankfully the management has made a number of changes over the years to help reduce the risk for motorcycles but. From a risk management perspective CW is the best for motorcycle COMPETITION.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Ryan is correct. Its simply an issue of lack of runoff and speed.

Hallett:
    T1 CW there is only about 20 feet of runoff to the tire wall. With Airfence in place that narrows to 15 feet. On the other side of that tire wall and fence is a septic pond that cannot be moved.
    T3 CW there is a track crossing issue. If a rider coming down the hill from 4 cannot make the turn (loses brakes) that rider either goes through the corner station or crosses the track at the exit of 3.
    T7 CW not enough runoff for the entry speed.
    Hallett was designed to be run CCW. We have run it CW in the past but due to the issues we have had it was decided that CW was the best choice from a risk management perspective.

MSRH:
    T16 CCW the entry speed into T16 is to great for the limited runoff.
    T17 CCW the angle of attack to the pit wall is 90 degrees and there is zero room for recovery if a rider gets into trouble in this area.
    T1 CCW The pit in curbing, pit exit road, and the limited runoff are not ideal for motorcycle COMPETITION.
    T4 CCW a runoff in this turn will likely cross the track at the exit of T5. There is a high risk of a collision if this happens.
    MSRH was designed originally to be run CCW and many orgs do run it that direction. MSRH was also designed with mainly automobile testing and competition in mind. Motorcycles were an afterthought. Thankfully the management has made a number of changes over the years to help reduce the risk for motorcycles but. From a risk management perspective CW is the best for motorcycle COMPETITION.
    Glad there is so much thought going into keeping us safe. Thanks Walter and Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rab McNaught #430