Thread: Red flag refueling rules

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Red flag refueling rules

During Saturday's ULWE race, we were on our in-lap to pit for fuel and the red flag was thrown. We came in and parked the bike according to the rules and then asked a pit lane official what were our options since we weren't sure we could make another lap or two with the fuel in the bike, but we knew we couldn't fuel under red. The official said that we had to take a hot lap or we could not fuel. Said we could skip the warm-up if we wanted and start from pit lane but if we didn't take the start, we could not fuel the bike. I didn't feel like that was correct but the official said I could check the rule book and we couldn't get that done fast enough. We went ahead and took our best shot, taking the warm up and the first lap and ran out of fuel as we exited the track. Had to go push the bike the length of that tremendously long pit lane losing a chunk of time. (Near heart attack in the full leathers 200 yd dash is irrelevant at this point--lol.)

Anyway, the point is checking the rulebook, it reads to me that you CAN fuel the bike if you just wait until the green flag is thrown for the restart. (Section 6.5, p. 36, "Red Flag Procedures".)
    Work on machines that are still on pit lane may begin or resume only after the green flag has been given for the restart.
    Just looking for some clarification on the interpretation there for the future. (And getting a quick-draw copy of the rulebook for the pits in order to be better prepared.) Thanks in advance!
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The rules do tend to read that it is ok to miss the restart and start refueling after the race has gone back to green.

I think this applies to your case

When first call is given for the restart one crew member and the rider will be allowed to cross to the machine and remove the stand or stands and tire warmers and start the machine. All machines that were running on the track at the time of the red flag must take the restart or be penalized one lap. Teams are not required to take the warm up lap. Teams may start from the back of the grid.
    More than this does.

If a team feels that their machine has a mechanical issue that would make it unsafe to take the restart the team must immediately notify a Race Official of the problem. The machine must be inspected by a Technical Inspector. If it is determined that the machine is indeed unsafe to continue the team will be allowed to miss the restart without penalty. The team will not be allowed to make repairs until the green flag has been given for the restart. The following are examples of mechanical problems that would be considered unsafe: a tire that is flat, chunked, cut, or showing cord; leaking fuel, oil or coolant which may present a risk to the rider or other riders; loose parts at imminent risk of falling off of the machine and thereby presenting a risk to the rider or other riders. In regard to suitability of a machine to restart the race, the determination of the Chief Technical Inspector or the Director of Competition shall be final.
    You could have not taken the restart, take the one lap penalty and refueled then gone back out as soon as you were done fueling.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael De Simone View Post
    I think this applies to your case

More than this does.

You could have not taken the restart, take the one lap penalty and refueled then gone back out as soon as you were done fueling.
    Thanks Mike! Very helpful. That last conclusive line is what I was looking for on our lane during the flag. Rules are rules, and if apples consistently, are inherently fair. A lap penalty seems a bit stiff but I could do the math on that vs. risk of running out of fuel. If you have chapter & verse is be interested but will otherwise dig around for it.

One follow-up question: the piece you quoted doesn't seem consistent with the part I quoted. Maybe an edit is due for clarity or did I get a bad section?

Sent using Tapatalk
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Thank you Michael, you are correct. One line taken out of context can appear to have a different meaning. Everyone please read the ENTIRE rule book.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Thank you Michael, you are correct. One line taken out of context can appear to have a different meaning. Everyone please read the ENTIRE rule book.
    Appreciate the verification Walter. If by "out of context" you mean that I took a single sentence out of a paragraph to make it seem to say something it didn't, I disagree. I did not however post the entire rulebook, so I guess on that basis, all of our snippets are "out of context." I read the entire section on RED FLAG PROCEDURES (along with several preceding sections relevant to the endurance series), and admittedly, since I felt I had found what I was looking for, I did not read the RESTART AFTER RED FLAG section. I think, after reading that section and the comments in this thread, the sentence I originally referenced from the RED FLAG PROCEDURES section should be edited for next year's rulebook for clarity. I would propose:

Work on machines that were in pit lane before the red flag was thrown may begin or resume only after the green flag has been given for the restart.

Again, thanks for the clarification Michael and the verification Walter. We'll know this rule for next time, though I'll admit that I'm not able to keep the entire rule book in my head at this age and number of pavement bounces I've experienced. Maybe I'll assign that task to some younger teammates!
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    David, I was not trying to offend you and if I did I apologize. I was just trying to explain that when reading the rule book Its best to read through the entire section in question and any related section when looking for an answer.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Thanks Walter. And your point is well-advised.
    David B.