Thread: Possible New Racer/Member?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Possible New Racer/Member?

Hey, folks.

Was wondering if someone could help clarify which classes I might be able to ride?

I'm new, so I would be coming in as a prov nov. I picked up a Panigale V4 I'd like to try some racing on. From reading through the rule book, it looks like I should be eligible for the following classes:

Formula 1 Novice
    Superbike A Novice
    Superstock A Novice
    Provisional Novice HW

Am I correct in my assumption? Also, I was looking over the tech inspection criteria, and it appears I would need to remove the belly pan for tech? I know the belly pan on my 1299 is not something you can easily remove the morning of for tech, as the exhaust system would have to be dismantled as well. I assume the V4 will be a similar situation. Is there some leeway on this with bike models that are a particular challenge? I'm sure I could take some before/after pics or something and bring along, as needed.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input/guidance.

-Dennis Black

Your class listing is correct - that's what an 1100cc V4 would be eligible for.

As for the belly pan, the stock belly pan for the Panigale isn't permitted. The OEM Panigale V4 belly pan has numerous openings in it, and you must have a sealed belly pan to protect yourself and other racers in the event you begin leaking fluids while on track. This also means that removing the belly pan for tech inspection is non-negotiable, as the inspector must be able to verify that the oil filter, oil drain bolt, and radiator drain bolt have all been properly safety wired. Googling briefly, it doesn't look as though anybody makes a race fairing set for the V4, but that's not surprising since it's only been out a few months. You may want to poke around on other forums for people with your bike to see if another bike's belly pan fits well enough. Riders on rare/new bikes often have to improvise a little bit to find a working belly pan solution.

You are correct on the classes with that bike. The belly pan would be a wait and see, we have not seen a v4 at the track in race trim yet.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter Rossner View Post
    Your class listing is correct - that's what an 1100cc V4 would be eligible for.

As for the belly pan, the stock belly pan for the Panigale isn't permitted. The OEM Panigale V4 belly pan has numerous openings in it, and you must have a sealed belly pan to protect yourself and other racers in the event you begin leaking fluids while on track. This also means that removing the belly pan for tech inspection is non-negotiable, as the inspector must be able to verify that the oil filter, oil drain bolt, and radiator drain bolt have all been properly safety wired. Googling briefly, it doesn't look as though anybody makes a race fairing set for the V4, but that's not surprising since it's only been out a few months. You may want to poke around on other forums for people with your bike to see if another bike's belly pan fits well enough. Riders on rare/new bikes often have to improvise a little bit to find a working belly pan solution.
    Yeah, there is no stock belly pan on the V4 or the 1299. I have an aftermarket one for the 1299, but it tucks in-between the exhaust vs. a traditional wrap around full body panel, which is why it would be quite difficult to do on race morning. So many other things going on, I wouldn't have 1-2hrs to remove and replace it each time. It's fully sealed and all that. The oil filter on the Panigales is internal vs. external. I assume just a nice little safety wire job on the bolts which hold the cover on, would be normal practice. As for the V4, there are already several options for fairing kits, though I am unsure on the belly pan situation. Working on getting an answer to that.

Thanks for the reply/help!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Dominguez View Post
    You are correct on the classes with that bike. The belly pan would be a wait and see, we have not seen a v4 at the track in race trim yet.
    Gotcha. Thanks. I'm still working on options for fairings/belly pan, but hopefully have something sorted out before too much of the season passes me by!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Dennis, you wouldn't have to remove it race morning. You can Tech your bike on Friday or Saturday for Sunday races however, I'm sure there's an easy fix. Good luck!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McDaniel View Post
    Dennis, you wouldn't have to remove it race morning. You can Tech your bike on Friday or Saturday for Sunday races however, I'm sure there's an easy fix. Good luck!
    Thanks, Scott!