Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Guard Recommendation

Lever Guard Recommendation

Hello All,

I am looking to attend race school soon and would like to get my bike prepped. I have a 2006 GSXR 600. Looking over the rulebook, I need a few things:

A lever guard and a clutch-side case cover.

For the lever guard, there are a ton of options. From cheap Chinese eBay stuff to expensive ones. It seems like just a piece of metal that attaches to your clip-on. Are there any benefits to the expensive ones, or should I go cheap?

All the case covers are expensive, so there is less debate there.

Thanks!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    There is going to be a wide range of opinions on this. I have used the Chinese stuff and it actually held of decent in a crash, however, every crash is different. As far as actually protecting the lever, I can not vouch for that as I have never had it have to do it's actual purpose.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

I am a big fan of the WoodCraft ones. They are very sturdy and hold up very well in a crash. They are also modular and you can replace the plastic part if you need to.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    What Michael said.... Woodcraft.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Woodcraft. They will actually perform their intended function.

CMRA used to sell them. Someone may be able to chime in if that is still the case
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Woodcraft.

I've next to no luck on the type that fit INTO the bar FWIW.
    Allen Dye

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I use vortex. it works exactly the same as woodcraft. We have the dion device on an endurance bike which is really nice but they cost about double. The cheap ones rarely stay in place properly.

I had the opportunity to talk to the founder of Woodcraft a while back while riding in New Hampshire. He really embraces the design philosophy of making every piece of a component as functional as possible. I've been replacing all my bits and pieces with Woodcraft stuff since then. My Chinese lever guard fell off at NOLA after lasting 1.5 crashes. I've ordered a Woodcraft replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Pence View Post
    I use vortex. it works exactly the same as woodcraft. We have the dion device on an endurance bike which is really nice but they cost about double. The cheap ones rarely stay in place properly.
    After seeing a Vortex fail in Houston, I think the Woodcraft ones are superior.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Like some, I tried to go cheap and they didn't perform well at all. I really like the woodcraft style, we've crashed them and they always hold up and you can replace parts too.