Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Provisional Novice requirements, caution and race revenue

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Provisional Novice requirements, caution and race revenue

This post from Prov Nov, Jason Chahin in another thread got me thinking of a minor change that could see a decent return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    I have a suggestion to increase participation for the prov-novs (like me). I'm new so pardon my ignorance as I'm sure there are many good reasons for the current rules, but if the rule not to crash throughout the entire event was lifted, and instead limit the no crashing rule to 2 sprints/day, I'm sure you'd have more provnos registering for >2 races in a weekend. For example, last Saturday was my first time racing, I did ULWGP and SS500 in the morning, didn't crash and packed it up by 10am, requirements met. But I wanted to keep going! I would have gladly registered for the afternoon provnov LW, F40 LW, LW twins, etc. The common wisdom for provnovs is to not risk more than 2 races/event until you meet all requirements or you have to start over if you crash. And for a provnov starting mid-season, every event counts (including corner working).
    Interesting thought. Could work. Not everyone has that mindset, which I say because I didn't. I started in Round 1 of 2011 as PN, entering 5 races. I was out to win from the first green flag; I didn't. I also didn't crash. Did the same at Round 2, TWS. I did crash but kept going full bore. After the 3rd round, ECR, I completed my requirements.

The only real reason to be so cautious as a PN is to get rid of the struggle of putting on and removing the yellow shirt (and maybe the reduced air flow)! Perhaps we could make the shirts more like tank tops or "rider coach" reflective jerseys. I think it safer to have new racers wearing something as a warning to other riders. If the intent is to play it safe and merely, technically satisfy requirements, seems more dangerous for everyone once that shirt is off. If the PN jerseys were easier to deal with, perhaps more new riders would continue to wear them even after they've attained their Novice license.
    Last edited by Josh Henke; 06-21-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I think the anxiety of having to retake the PROV NOV test is what makes people overly cautious.
    Honestly I could only afford 3 rounds my first year so I had to make that work or start from square one the next year.
    It's not that big of a deal but as a PROV NOV I'm sure everyone worries about the "what if".
    Last edited by Brandon Orr; 06-21-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I don't really understand Jason's mindset. Crashing didn't deter me from entering more races. If I wrecked, I just had to wear the shirt another weekend. IIRC, you don't have to retake anything, you just have to do another weekend.

Also, if you get your racing requirements (not to be confused with CW rqmts) done in one weekend, wouldn't some people just skip another round that they might otherwise go to because their requirements were met? So the net effect might still be zero. I wish I could have worn my prov nov shirt in my expert classes, but the rule book specifically disallows that, haha. It didn't bother me a bit wearing a yellow shirt, but I can see some people trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I like the way the rule is now. But I don't race, so my opinion doesn't matter.
    -Cody

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    If I had known then how much room a yellow shirt affords you I would have be putting it in the grass every round since I was handed one. Respect the Shirt!!!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    I think the anxiety of having to retake the PROV NOV test is what makes people overly cautious.
    Honestly I could only afford 3 rounds my first year so I had to make that work or start from square one the next year.
    It's not that big of a deal but as a PROV NOV I'm sure everyone worries about the "what if".
    This.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    You don't have to start over if you crash. You simply don't credit for that weekend and you have 12 months to finish your prov nov requirements. That 12 months can span seasons does not need to be a single season.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Snyder View Post
    You don't have to start over if you crash. You simply don't credit for that weekend and you have 12 months to finish your prov nov requirements. That 12 months can span seasons does not need to be a single season.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Yeah you have a rolling 12 months to complete the requirements. You could potentially have to retake the test if you crash enough or run out of funds before meeting the requirements in that time span. It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was when I was a PROV NOV.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I think we all have short memories. I wanted to lose my yellow shirt ASAP. I didn't want to be the slow guy with a yellow beacon advertising it. I think the mindset changes after you lose it.

Regardless, the yellow shirt serves its intended purpose. I still have 2 somehow
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I wore my shirt for several races after meeting the requirement. Not sure that is still allowed. Eric Falt told me the shirt afforded me the extra room and easing into the sport that a new racer needs. Never felt any shame. I was far too high on the endorphins of becoming a real life motorcycle racer. :-)
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by dean webster View Post
    I think we all have short memories. I wanted to lose my yellow shirt ASAP. I didn't want to be the slow guy with a yellow beacon advertising it. I think the mindset changes after you lose it.

Regardless, the yellow shirt serves its intended purpose. I still have 2 somehow
    Man I wore mine for 4 endurance rounds after my requirements. There were about 30 other dudes on the grid that were way faster than me and with that shirt I got a ton of room on the track.
    You're like a kid in a batman costume at Halloween....you think you're cute...and you think you're batman.
    -Author name withheld to protect the further embarrassment of the guilty