Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying in Novice F1 and C Superbike

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Qualifying in Novice F1 and C Superbike

It would be super fun to have qualifying for the Novice racers in these events. It could be done during the existing practice sessions either Sat or Sun morning so no need to add any sessions.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Boyd View Post
    It would be super fun to have qualifying for the Novice racers in these events. It could be done during the existing practice sessions either Sat or Sun morning so no need to add any sessions.
    It is not possible to pull qualifying times out of open practice sessions.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    It is not possible to pull qualifying times out of open practice sessions.
    why not? I'm looking at practice sessions, sorted by best time in Race Monitor right now. This can't be that hard...

why not? I'm looking at practice sessions, sorted by best time in Race Monitor right now. This can't be that hard...
    its been looked at extensively for the experts in the past, not a new idea sorry..1 huge problem is not knowing what bike said rider is on, if he or she has multiple bikes and is on his or her R1zxgsxrcbr1000 in practice but has his or her r6gsxrcbrzx600 enteredin c sbk it cant be checked, just shows a lap time

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Dominguez View Post
    its been looked at extensively for the experts in the past, not a new idea sorry..1 huge problem is not knowing what bike said rider is on, if he or she has multiple bikes and is on his or her R1zxgsxrcbr1000 in practice but has his or her r6gsxrcbrzx600 enteredin c sbk it cant be checked, just shows a lap time
    yes...there might be opportunity to cheat. This isn't much different than any other race we participate in. There's always the possibility someone might try to cheat.

I'm sure the number of Novice racers that have both a 600 and a 1,000 at the track is small. I'm sure that, of those few that do, the number that would cheat is even smaller.

Have riders check in as they enter the track.
    OR
    Put a camcorder at start/finish and IF a racer's grid is protested, look at the tape.

I'm suggesting this because I think it would be fun. None of us do this for a living. I would be completely willing to risk one racer cheating to get to do this.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm sure the number of Novice racers that have both a 600 and a 1,000 at the track is small. I'm sure that, of those few that do, the number that would cheat is even smaller.
    And, of the number that do, and would be willing to cheat would be much faster on a 1000 than they would be on a 600.

Maybe if they do cheat, it is an automatic bump to expert.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    yes...there might be opportunity to cheat. This isn't much different than any other race we participate in. There's always the possibility someone might try to cheat.

Have riders check in as they enter the track.
    OR
    Put a camcorder at start/finish and IF a racer's grid is protested, look at the tape.

I'm suggesting this because I think it would be fun. None of us do this for a living. I would be completely willing to risk one racer cheating to get to do this.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Allan,

Its easy to look at unofficial results on Race-Monitor and think it would be easy to pick out the riders that are only riding in CSB and F1 Novice > then compile those times in order from fastest to slowest > then cross reference that list with the list of what bike every Novice that went out in the Novice sessions was riding that would be kept by pit out > then cross reference that again by the entry list for those two classes > then add in those riders that had no times from practice (forgot transponder or crashed) > then manually create grids based on the final data > then deal with the he said she said and possible protests after the grids are posted > all while we are trying to score and publish results for other races.

There is NO WAY to properly do qualifying with out dedicated sessions.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Allan,

Its easy to look at unofficial results on Race-Monitor and think it would be easy to pick out the riders that are only riding in CSB and F1 Novice > then compile those times in order from fastest to slowest > then cross reference that list with the list of what bike every Novice that went out in the Novice sessions was riding that would be kept by pit out > then cross reference that again by the entry list for those two classes > then add in those riders that had no times from practice (forgot transponder or crashed) > then manually create grids based on the final data > then deal with the he said she said and possible protests after the grids are posted > all while we are trying to score and publish results for other races.

There is NO WAY to properly do qualifying with out dedicated sessions.
    I'm a little surprised at how many reasons why it "can't be done" I'm hearing. Not a single solution...

Where there's a will, there's a way. What solutions do you suggest then Walter?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    If combining qualifying and practice is impractical, perhaps the schedule could be squeezed to allow a 10 minute qualifying session. Ideas...?

Would you like me to take your request to the BOD for a vote? And would you be satisfied with whatever the vote is? fyi: whatever my opinion may or may not be I appreciate you thinking of ways to make this sport a bit more fun.