Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand/finger safety?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Hand/finger safety?

I lowsided at MSRH last month and broke a tendon in my finger, got what's called "mallet finger", needed surgery and still in a splint for 8 weeks which almost took me out for the season. I was very lucky nothing else broke. Simple injury, but expensive and long recovery.

Question for the racers, do you use anything else other than gloves to protect your hands? I was thinking like how boxers tape their fingers/wrists. I've also heard to make fists when you crash and hold your arms to your chest.

On the topic of hands, time for new gloves. What are recommendations on the best protective gloves? Prefer safety vs. feel at this point.

thanks,
    Jason

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I don't know that theres much more you can do. I try to pull my hands and arms in to my chest and make fists when I fall and try not to "break" the fall. You can usually do this when you low side. High side not so much.

There are "air bag gloves" out there although I have zero experience with them. Alpinestars have a little leather bridge between the fourth and fifth fingers which seems to help. Gauntlet style gloves are whats required and a plastic/pvu wrist cover should be the standard. I have worn Knox Handroid and Taichi gloves and they've all worked well. Some times you're just not lucky.

My 02. cents.

Speedy recovery!
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Caruso View Post
    I don't know that theres much more you can do. I try to pull my hands and arms in to my chest and make fists when I fall and try not to "break" the fall. You can usually do this when you low side. High side not so much.

There are "air bag gloves" out there although I have zero experience with them. Alpinestars have a little leather bridge between the fourth and fifth fingers which seems to help. Gauntlet style gloves are whats required and a plastic/pvu wrist cover should be the standard. I have worn Knox Handroid and Taichi gloves and they've all worked well. Some times you're just not lucky.

My 02. cents.

Speedy recovery!

Thanks, airbag gloves.. interesting, will have to check that out and also the Handroids. Speaking of airbags, I was wearing the Alpinestars tech-air suit and the airbag did NOT deploy even though I went down at 58mph (sugar & spice). I sent the crash telemetry/video to Alpinestars and they said the suit worked as designed, only goes off in high sides, so I'm switching to the Helite tethered vest to be safe.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    After I had a hand injury I bought the handriods, I have yet to test them out, but be prepared to invest time for break in and they are a pain to get over your hand if your hand is meaty. I prefer the protection over the dexterity myself, after the crash. Most gloves can only protect so much vs what you really need.

Airbag vest worked like it supposed to, why switch?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    We have been currently testing our newest glove the AGVSPORT Ascari. Will be available soon.
    David Roy
    Owner
    North Texas Superbikes
    www.northtexassuperbikes.com . 817.845.4051

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    Thanks, airbag gloves.. interesting, will have to check that out and also the Handroids. Speaking of airbags, I was wearing the Alpinestars tech-air suit and the airbag did NOT deploy even though I went down at 58mph (sugar & spice). I sent the crash telemetry/video to Alpinestars and they said the suit worked as designed, only goes off in high sides, so I'm switching to the Helite tethered vest to be safe.

I've been off my bike with the air bag suit and it was a low side and didn't go off as well. I still think it's the best system. If you have any questions, reach out to Garet Tomlinson. He is a an Alpinestars reprensentative as well as a former CMRA racer and the son of Harry Tomlinson. I'm sure Harry could put you in touch with him via email. Harry's contact info is on the main page under BoD members.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I haven't 'tested' the handroids, but I have worn them for a couple sessions. I have Held Titans and I feel like the protection of those is a little more robust. Especially the padding in the wrist area. I have crash tested those, multiple times, and they have worked great for me. The only thing I ever had to get repaired was the stitching around one of the palm sliders after a very long slide from a 130mph low side. And it probably would've been fine without it. I also wore the Racer High Speed gloves which aren't in the same category as the Titans or Handroids, but the price (they're cheaper) reflects that.

Interesting point about the suit not inflating during a low-side. I suppose that makes sense for a non-tethered system as it might be hard to tell the difference between a low-side and just normal riding, normal for us anyway. I'm like you, however, and think I would prefer something that always goes off. I always wear a Leatt neck brace which I feel I would have to give up if I went with an air bag system.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Caruso View Post
    I've been off my bike with the air bag suit and it was a low side and didn't go off as well. I still think it's the best system. If you have any questions, reach out to Garet Tomlinson. He is a an Alpinestars reprensentative as well as a former CMRA racer and the son of Harry Tomlinson. I'm sure Harry could put you in touch with him via email. Harry's contact info is on the main page under BoD members.
    Lol, Garet is the one who analyzed my crash, very professional and responsive. No question Alpinestars has great customer service.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Stewart View Post
    I haven't 'tested' the handroids, but I have worn them for a couple sessions. I have Held Titans and I feel like the protection of those is a little more robust. Especially the padding in the wrist area. I have crash tested those, multiple times, and they have worked great for me. The only thing I ever had to get repaired was the stitching around one of the palm sliders after a very long slide from a 130mph low side. And it probably would've been fine without it. I also wore the Racer High Speed gloves which aren't in the same category as the Titans or Handroids, but the price (they're cheaper) reflects that.

Interesting point about the suit not inflating during a low-side. I suppose that makes sense for a non-tethered system as it might be hard to tell the difference between a low-side and just normal riding, normal for us anyway. I'm like you, however, and think I would prefer something that always goes off. I always wear a Leatt neck brace which I feel I would have to give up if I went with an air bag system.
    Interesting, but does that interfere with your body position at lean/tuck or how does it work?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    Interesting, but does that interfere with your body position at lean/tuck or how does it work?
    I have never had an issue with it. In full tuck, it was a bit of an adjustment at first as it would hit the gas tank, but I was able to scoot my butt back more and it doesn't affect me anymore. I tried the EVS foam brace first and hated it, couldn't turn my head, etc, but the Leatt brace I've never had an issue with. There's even a newer version of mine that's geared more to the riding that we do that is supposed to be even less invasive, but like I said, I've never had an issue and I can almost guarantee it saved me from a broken collar bone in that same low side I mentioned earlier. If you're ever at a ridesmart day in houston (except the one in october) or CotA, you can feel free to borrow it for a session. They're about $500, so I can understand wanting to try it out before you buy it.

not sure if these links will work for you, one is a better shot of the device itself, the other is just showing i dont have any issues turning my head at lean. I literally forget its on.
    https://scontent.fftw1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...38&oe=5C281305
    https://scontent.fftw1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...9f&oe=5C347DDB