Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going electric?

Hybrid View

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Going electric?

Was reading that Motogp is going to have a new MotoE series in 2019. Curious what is the CMRA's position on electric motorcycles and what class, if any, would they be legal for?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Wondered that myself. I suspect it would take awhile to index them. Might make sense to begin allowing them in the rulebook, if only in Formula classes at first.

I wanna see allowances for sidecars!
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    If you can get one of these bikes to last a practice session and a race I'll be stunned. Ridden hard they either run out of juice quickly or overheat the batteries.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    Was reading that Motogp is going to have a new MotoE series in 2019. Curious what is the CMRA's position on electric motorcycles and what class, if any, would they be legal for?
    We are open to the idea of including e-bikes in our program. To date no e-bikes have been presented for CMRA competition. When the time comes we will find a place for e-bikes to compete in the CMRA.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Doesn't Kyle Fox have one of these?
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    Doesn't Kyle Fox have one of these?
    I do. An Energica Ego. It's amazingly fun to have full torque on demand. And Dugger's hypothesis doesn't hold up to my (admittedly road based) testing.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fox View Post
    And Dugger's hypothesis doesn't hold up to my (admittedly road based) testing.
    Bring it out, let's see. Based on what I've seen out of every other electric vehicle, I say it can't finish 20 laps at Cresson at a 1:25 pace or better without running out of battery or going into limp mode.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    She's too pretty (and costly) for me to bring to the track. I crash too much. Should probably sign up for some rider coaching, if someone knows a good organization. ;)

But it's the road version of the spec bike for the new Moto E class for MotoGP. I bought it on the assumption that the teams and riders signing up for MotoE had done their homework.

What other electric vehicles are you basing your assertions on?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fox View Post
    Should probably sign up for some rider coaching, if someone knows a good organization. ;)
    Ty Howard is great!

I bought it on the assumption that the teams and riders signing up for MotoE had done their homework.
    They did, but it doesn't change the physical realities of the bike or the technology at this time. It's 600lbs, has limited power storage, and riding it hard you throw away a lot of that power on the brakes, or overheat the batteries with excessive regen. The issue is really the batteries more than anything with electric vehicles; the power density and duty cycle just isn't there.

What other electric vehicles are you basing your assertions on?
    Brammo and Tesla. The latter has never made it a full lap around a racetrack with a professional driver without going into limp mode to my knowledge.

For what it's worth, the Formula E open wheel cars do a mid-race vehicle swap to get around the range issues.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE