Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going electric?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Very cool, unfortunately this will add fuel (no pun intended) to environmentalists' argument that Laguna should be an electric-only track.

Bike #
    Tesla’s history of shutting down early is based on the 3phase asynchronous motor in the Model S and X, not the battery over heating or losing charge. The model 3 has a permanent magnet motor which does not suffer from this problem and people run it at the track all the time, in fact Tesla has a track mode for the M3 now. The problem with the model 3 is the stock brakes you can literally be metal to metal after 4 laps at a spirited pace.

So I’d say if the battery can handle the amp draw then as long as you have the right motor the bike should do fine
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Good to see the progress with the Teslas. A co-worker just got a dual-motor Model 3. he loves it. Range sucks though unless you drive like a grandmother -- we are doing sales calls in the greater NYC area today and driving slow so we can make it between calls and charging stations.

Really nice car though. Incredibly nice.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I'm more than happy to eat my words. I wanna see one do something other than a single lap at an upright pace.

Two club level races at Cresson would be ~34 miles.

I will be curious to see how many laps are in the Moto E race if they come to COTA with it. My guess is less than 8, and maybe just 6.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The TT Zero race runs 1 lap which is 37 miles and change. So, it would be pretty interesting to see how an electric bike would handle a similar distance but a very different track environment! Don't think energica runs in the tt zero though.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    My colleague has a Model 3, very base. Incredibly fast. Never ridden in an S
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    I will be curious to see how many laps are in the Moto E race if they come to COTA with it. My guess is less than 8, and maybe just 6.
    The MotoE rules just came out. 10 laps per race, no bike swaps. Pure spec bikes that are almost exactly the same as the street version.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    Good to see the progress with the Teslas. A co-worker just got a dual-motor Model 3. he loves it. Range sucks though unless you drive like a grandmother -- we are doing sales calls in the greater NYC area today and driving slow so we can make it between calls and charging stations.

Really nice car though. Incredibly nice.
    My dual motor Tesla 3 got 240 miles on my drive from Austin to msrh for the last round. That was traveling at 80/85 on the freeway and not at all holding back on acceleration.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fox View Post
    The MotoE rules just came out. 10 laps per race, no bike swaps. Pure spec bikes that are almost exactly the same as the street version.
    At COTA? That's ~40 miles. Impressive really.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE