Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Forms Posted

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael De Simone View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I think I have a printer, it's probably in storage somewhere.
    Another plus one for not having a printer. I do have a scanner though...my phone and the CamScanner app that is... because it's 2018.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Henke View Post
    Carter, the technology that makes it easy for end users and secure is not cheap. I don’t have numbers, but I have enough insight to financial tech to know that much.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing that is needed to be secure is the credit card payment, correct? Which I imagine a large percentage of people still send it through email anyway. The real issue here is getting "the CMRA's insurer and legal counsel" to allow digital signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Stewart View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing that is needed to be secure is the credit card payment, correct? Which I imagine a large percentage of people still send it through email anyway. The real issue here is getting "the CMRA's insurer and legal counsel" to allow digital signatures.
    Probably true if staying in the framework of an emailed Acrobat fill-form (as opposed to a full-blown online / 'storefront' / secure payment registration process).

And yeah, it's all very oxymoronic viewed in total.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

I think a hangup here is the definition of the term "digital signature." There is an industry-standard term which basically means a secure, digital authentication by a previously-verified person. For example, when you sign into any account that has a password, or if you're issued a personal PIN, or something like that. Systems to set up a proper digital signature system do cost money, but it's not much - $20/month or so. Then there is what is more broadly called an "electronic signature", which can be anything from a cropped photo of a signature to, yes, an authenticated digital signature. Those can potentially be free. There would also be no security guarantee, but as I said earlier, there is is already basically no security guarantee. It would not be difficult to lift my signature from any of the thousands of documents I've signed over my lifetime and drop it into a scanned version of the CMRA forms. I mean, hell, you could just take my paperwork from last year, change a few '2018's to '2019's and submit that! No signature copying required!

Personally, I think digital signature platforms are well worth the investment. I work in both tech and heath care and we use them extensively. For a few bucks a month you get an easy-to-manage database of all your documents. There would be a little bit of cost and pain in the transfer, but after that, if it saves Alex an hour or two per month it pays for itself, right?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Nice, Carter. Sincerely, maybe you could do some of the walking on this.
    Provisional Expert #98

I'm happy to investigate. Though Thanksgiving is at my house this year so the next couple days are gonna be pretty hectic. I'll try to use what should be a pretty slow work day tomorrow to see how hard it would be to build what we need in DocuSign's infrastructure. I prefer them - you can integrate payment and their mobile features are better. Only a few more bucks per month than Adobe.

Alex Howard
    Thank you Carter for the positive solution that could be an actual possibility instead of just explaining what is wrong with our current system.

For those concerned about emailing credit card information, people have called and asked, and I have always given the option to leave the payment field blank and then either they call me or I call them to get that info as long as it was same day. So please, until something is updated or changed to better fit the digital needs or digital signatures, if you are uncomfortable giving credit card info via email, just email in the forms then call me and I will be glad to write the information down on the form for you.

I hope this helps solve one of the security issues for now.

Bike #
    I'm in the boat of people that didn't have a printer until very recently, and only because I need to print labels. In the last 10 years I've opened multiple bank accounts, started companies, bought 10 or so vehicles, personal loans, credit cards, rented and bought homes, etc. all via electronic signatures. I just enrolled in half a dozen types of insurance at work, 401K, W4, I9, etc and everything was signed electronically.

When friends and neighbors found out I bought a printer I'm now the go to guy in neighborhood. The woman downloads stuff to a thumb drive and goes to the fedex store to get something printed, and there's always a line. A whole lot of people simply have no need for a printer in their life, unless they race CMRA of course.
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Etheredge View Post
    Jim, I'm betting that for every one of those digital transactions someone provided the digital infrastructure to facilitate the deal and in some way collected a fee (whether identified or buried in other costs) to cover the cost to create, implement and maintain that digital infrastructure.
    Honestly, the one that comes to mind recently is I sold an unimproved lot in South dallas county.

We did the contract by pdf with no physical signatures.

It's 2018. World has moved on...
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    Honestly, the one that comes to mind recently is I sold an unimproved lot in South dallas county.

We did the contract by pdf with no physical signatures.

It's 2018. World has moved on...
    Then between your personal experience and your past experience as a CMRA Director you should have no trouble effecting the necessary change to the CMRA's practice for the benefit of all.

Sincerely looking forward to it.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.