Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension help

Suspension help

Can I make suspension setup for a heavier rider work for a lighter rider by turning all my adjustments out? Rebound and compression? Trying to hold out on buying springs for now just so I can ride the bike.
    Bike is setup for a 265 # rider and Im 180 #.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rangel View Post
    Can I make suspension setup for a heavier rider work for a lighter rider by turning all my adjustments out? Rebound and compression? Trying to hold out on buying springs for now just so I can ride the bike.
    Bike is setup for a 265 # rider and Im 180 #.
    You can help. I've had my 250 setup for Daisy and Zach Boldwyn. Mine was sprung for 215 and set up for 230ish and they are both under 150 I think. They rode the piss out of it but it still was not as good as the bikes that were set up for their weight.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I imagine the spring rate is going to be your main issue - you may want to start by dialing back the preload to get some sag back into the suspension.

You can probably gain some extra suspension compliance by keeping the compression damping dialed back, but I don't think you'll want to dial out the rebound completely - you're going to be oversprung and the rebound damping may prove helpful to keep you from topping out the suspension when it unloads over bumps.

The front forks have no preload adjustment that I know of. The bike is a 2003 crf450.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    You'd have to cut back the spring spacers inside to reduce the preload on a non-adjustable fork.

Were these forks setup for dirt or pavement riding?

Just my two cents: springs are cheap and easy to swap. For all the time and effort you can spend getting a considerably oversprung bike set up for you, you could just put the right springs in.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter Rossner View Post
    Just my two cents: springs are cheap and easy to swap. For all the time and effort you can spend getting a considerably oversprung bike set up for you, you could just put the right springs in.
    What he said.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilson View Post
    What he said.
    What he said what he said. Could be easy to find stock springs free or even trade straight up with someone.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    This sounds like Mongo's bike. Set up for 400lbs, easy
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by dean webster View Post
    This sounds like Mongo's bike. Set up for 400lbs, easy
    Haha, I'm an idiot - I'm actually the one that hauled the bike back from Cedar Park to Katy and delivered it to John on Mongo's behalf. Didn't realize that was the bike we were talking about here.