Thread: Best Lap Transponder?

Status
    Novice

Best Lap Transponder?

I am Pro Nov and am needing a lap transponder... thinking something like the AIM Solo might work good so I can see when my lap time is good and bad (it might all be bad, but where I am slowest) and which line I am wasting or saving time....

Any recommendations?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    There's a difference between lap timer and transponder, which do you need?

I use AiM solo2 for lap timer.

Transponder is from mylaps.com, the x2.

edit: keep in mind, transponder is required for practice and racing with CMRA, where a lap timer is not.

Status
    Novice
    Is there not a 2 in one set up from anyone?
    So, I am guessing there is no other options

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    No, there is no 2-in-1. One is meant for personal lap time tracking. One is for race tracking (essentially).

No, mylaps.com is about the only option to buy a new transponder (the x2). Other options include buying used from other members/forums.

Lap timers are strictly laptimers based off beacon or satellites.

Edit: i will caveat i guess you can use the transponder as a lap timer on race weekends and practice (but not trackdays) and come off and check your phone to see your laptimes every few laps?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Minor correction, Joe. I’ve been able to use my transponder at MSRH trackdays. Technically, it’s been member days. Don’t know if that’s still possible or widely offered (I’m nobody). You just have to visit somebody in the track monitoring room
    Provisional Expert #98

Joel, just to confuse further ....

The Transponder that is required whenever on the track at CMRA events can be rented as part of your CMRA race / practice registration if you aren't ready to buy one yet.

You can then view your practice or race laptimes via smartphone app Race Monitor at the event; you can also print your race laptimes at the self-serve laptimes kiosk in Registration shortly after race results are posted.

You can usually get a printout of your practice laptimes if you go to the E-Timing and Scoring folks and ask nicely shortly after your practice sessions (know your transponder number and bike number when you ask).

Visit with Walter or Ryan at MSRH, they'll be glad to explain further. My point is that there's several options for getting your laptime data at CMRA events without buying a personal Lap Timer if not yet ready for that investment.

None of that helps with non-CMRA weekend laptimes (track days), though.

And as of now I don't think the CMRA is yet able to provide 'splits' (times per particular sections of the track, only per-complete-lap times), a level of detail that some personal gps-linked Lap Timers may be able to provide.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Alan Etheredge; 01-29-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Once you have your transponder figured out, you will still want a lap timer for immediate feedback. Fellow racer Shandra Crawford keeps AIM Solo2 units in stock and she is cheaper than the internet as well. Give her a shout.
    '13 and '17 Daytonas
    '14 Duc 1199R
    '14 Grom
    South Central Race Center
    Pirelli

Status
    Novice
    Thanks