Thread: Paralleling two different sized generators?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Paralleling two different sized generators?

Has anyone ever tried this or have any experience?

I have a 3500 inverter and I'd like a little more juice for it but don't want to drag two 3500s would rather have a 2k w/ the 3500.

Internet says it may work but no real answers.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Running 2 in parallel is not an issue as long as the outputs you wire into the parallel cables is rated for the new max output you created by joining the two together. If they are from the same manufacturer there is likely a parallel kit you can buy to join them, if not you will need to build your own cables with a properly rated output box(ie; 50a recepticle, multiple 110v etc..).

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Great! Thank you.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Jordan, this can be a pretty risky move. Even Honda has a range a serial numbers that you can safely parallel when using two of their same size Gen's. If i'm not mistaken, the onboard inverter units on each generator "look" at each other and compare and synchronize phase. Honda warns of an under voltage situation that can ruin all kinds of your plug loads, not to mention your RV electrical equipment. Just because the lights come on doesn't necessarily mean your not doing damage. I would be 100% before you try it. my .02