Thread: Likely move to the area from the west coast

Likely move to the area from the west coast

Work is making a move to the Irving/Dallas area, and it's looking more and more like I am likely to follow. No matter where I end up, a good racing and track community is a must, won't consider someplace without that (and close to year round riding). When the move happens depends on a few factors right now, but it may end up being middle of the season - or, later this year when my season here is over. Few too many moving pieces to make a prediction at this point.

About to start my fifth season racing (where'd the time go?!?) but other than in my women's class, not really a contestant for any championships on my current bike yet, so a mid season move really wouldn't be the end of the world in that way.

I've talked to a couple CMRA racers I "know" and they seem to enjoy the club. Just looking for some feedback on the health of the club, how the sprint series are looking, competition level, etc.
    Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog
    AFM #302
    Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
    RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    The CMRA is about as good as it gets for DFW.

Of course... I'm a bit biased. ;)

I'm a bit older and don't race competitively like you, I just do it for fun... but have been in the CMRA for going on 5 years now. Great organization filled with folks who work hard to make our race weekends awesome!

One of the things that you'll immediately see is that our tracks aren't near the quality of the tracks on the west coast. Lots of tar snakes and a few frost heaves that need to be fixed every year... Cresson even has a spring time flow of water across the track near "Little Bend".

We currently use:

Motorsport Ranch (MSRC), Cresson TX
    Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Hallett OKK
    MotorSpeedway Resort (MSRH) Houston, TX
    NOLA Motorsports Park - New Orleans, LA

We just lost an awesome track in College Station (TWS - Texas World Speedway) due to a housing development.

For DFW, we have two local tracks... one is MSRC/Cresson, and the other is Eagles Canyon Raceway, which is currently undergoing a major restoration. See their FB page for more details. Hopefully, they cure it right and it comes back into our rotation for the CMRA schedule next year.

But for TX, OK, LA racers... this is the spot. There's some great "Pros" in our organization that can help you get established with sponsors and many sponsors are on this forum as well.

Good luck with the move if you end up coming out this way. Cost of living is waaayyy cheaper than the west coast, so you should be able to put more time and money into racing than you have been. ;)

See you at the track!

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Moyer; 02-18-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    2009 GSXR 750 (Race), 2001 YZF426 (Dirt), 2014 GL1800 ("Sport" Touring), 2013 Super Tenere (ADV), 2015 CB500F (Daughter's), 2012 Zuma (Daughter's)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1574/2...888b15cd_n.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply Bob! I've heard a couple folks comment on the quality of the tracks, although some of the ones out here are rapidly deteriorating as well. Everyone is on the same surface though, so there's that at least lol.
    AFM #302
    RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Jacobsen View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply Bob! I've heard a couple folks comment on the quality of the tracks, although some of the ones out here are rapidly deteriorating as well. Everyone is on the same surface though, so there's that at least lol.
    Since I've never raced anywhere else, I don't know the difference! The CMRA is a great club! Of course I'm biased...full grids, fast riders, numerous tracks reasonably close to us. We're looking forward to having you join us!
    Allen Dye

Officially moving the end of May, and plan to be at the June round with you all!
    AFM #302

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Woohoo!

Have a safe move... and we'll see you at the Track!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2009 GSXR 750 (Race), 2001 YZF426 (Dirt), 2014 GL1800 ("Sport" Touring), 2013 Super Tenere (ADV), 2015 CB500F (Daughter's), 2012 Zuma (Daughter's)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1574/2...888b15cd_n.jpg

People complain a lot on the web here but other than that the club is awesome! I’ve been with cmra for 29 years and 20 as a racer. It has been a great place to grow up and consider a lot of cmra memebers family. Tracks are good for the most part and very safe. Just about everyone will drop what they are doing and help if you need it or loan parts... see ya at the track!