Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn weather!

Darn weather!

Seems last year the weather played havoc on several CMRA rounds. It's one of the reasons I chose not to try and defend in 2018, believe there was even mention of "fair weather racers" in a post. Planned some racing this year and the schedule was changed dramatically from last year....I hear it was potentially a business rethink as a result of rain and low attended weekends. Both are decisions each entity has full rights to decide.
    Fast forward to recently completed Houston round, which admittedly I did not attend...kids had competions local and state. But it seems there was no qualifying for anyone...I'm not going to point out the irony, but do want to understand something, as it will impact any future race plans for me.
    The schedule change forced me(because of classes I'd run) to be there both days now. So if I go, say to Hallett round, have few or no points, and it rains...is qualifying for Sundays 500 race going(most likely) to get cut from the schedule? I hope you are able to see that given that potential, theres little to no motivation for me(because it's all about me, you know) to travel for one race on Saturday. I would not race the premiere ultra lightweight class on Sunday without qualifying because I'd be gridded dead butt last. Not a fan of the schedule change and now a potential not to have a qualifying session to improve grid position...no thank you.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Thomas View Post
    Seems last year the weather played havoc on several CMRA rounds. It's one of the reasons I chose not to try and defend in 2018, believe there was even mention of "fair weather racers" in a post. Planned some racing this year and the schedule was changed dramatically from last year....I hear it was potentially a business rethink as a result of rain and low attended weekends. Both are decisions each entity has full rights to decide.
    Fast forward to recently completed Houston round, which admittedly I did not attend...kids had competions local and state. But it seems there was no qualifying for anyone...I'm not going to point out the irony, but do want to understand something, as it will impact any future race plans for me.
    The schedule change forced me(because of classes I'd run) to be there both days now. So if I go, say to Hallett round, have few or no points, and it rains...is qualifying for Sundays 500 race going(most likely) to get cut from the schedule? I hope you are able to see that given that potential, theres little to no motivation for me(because it's all about me, you know) to travel for one race on Saturday. I would not race the premiere ultra lightweight class on Sunday without qualifying because I'd be gridded dead butt last. Not a fan of the schedule change and now a potential not to have a qualifying session to improve grid position...no thank you.
    I’m sorry that the new schedule doesn’t appeal to you. Thankfully we have received quite a bit of positive feedback.

As for qualifying, our policy has always been that we do not run qualifying in poor weather. If conditions are less than ideal on race day we will scrub qualifying and grid by current points followed by order of entry.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

no worries. if it works best for everyone and the club, that's what's most important.

am curious that if you eliminated qualifying then in theory the schedule gained an hour...why would you reduce laps. it makes it a double dip for anyone who is an occasional racer. That is, bad weather, no points, no qualifying, gridded way back AND reduced laps for same price. just sayin'

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Derek, after qualifying was scrubbed, the schedule was moved up to start races 30 min earlier than scheduled. However, there were numerous crashes in the morning and due to so much rain prior to our arrival, many of those off track incidents necessitated the use of the crash truck. Makes you really appreciate the quickness of an outrider being able to go get a bike when conditions allow (I’ve never raced with another club that has an outrider).

Anyhow, despite the best efforts of the staff to make sure everyone got their track time, the delays ultimately forced the shortening of the races.

I agree, not ideal, but Walter and the staff did the best they could given the situation.

Hope to see you at the races sometime this year!
    CMRA #75
    TipToes and Tonka Trucks Endurance #75
    Special thanks to R&R Tool and Die, G-Baby Racing, Cafe Racer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    no worries. if it works best for everyone and the club, that's what's most important.

am curious that if you eliminated qualifying then in theory the schedule gained an hour...why would you reduce laps. it makes it a double dip for anyone who is an occasional racer. That is, bad weather, no points, no qualifying, gridded way back AND reduced laps for same price. just sayin'
    Also, when there is bad weather, riders will go slower. This causes races to take longer so we have to cut laps so we don’t run out of daylight. It’s better to be able to run the race rather than cutting it entirely due to no time or daylight.
    As Walter said, if we scrub qualifying, the race is then gridded by points and then by order of entries. If you believe you know a better way, don’t hesistate to tell someone. The club is always open to suggestions.

Thanks Jeremy and Andrew.

Certainly the conditions of the actual earth(soaking wet) makes it difficult, especially in those low areas like Houston. But riders simply going slower as a result of the weather doesn't match the math(number of races and slowest lap times of those races x number of laps cut = 60 minutes?, even if those two are equal you're back to a net loss in time of zero). Its certainly harder in the shorter days(less actual daylight in daylight savings time), so that's a factor as well.

My suggestion....somehow give those races and racers back the time they paid for. I'm sure this has both plus and minuses with regards to time, schedule, points, tracks I'm better at, etc...etc... but people(at least I) really like to get what they paid for. Hence my post....I'm trying to get a take on what happens IF....scenario. Starting from the back of a 500 ulwgp class is about like starting at back of 600 ss race 15 years back....its not so friendly and not so fun!

I'm good, thanks for clarification replies.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Thanks Jeremy and Andrew.

Certainly the conditions of the actual earth(soaking wet) makes it difficult, especially in those low areas like Houston. But riders simply going slower as a result of the weather doesn't match the math(number of races and slowest lap times of those races x number of laps cut = 60 minutes?, even if those two are equal you're back to a net loss in time of zero). Its certainly harder in the shorter days(less actual daylight in daylight savings time), so that's a factor as well.

My suggestion....somehow give those races and racers back the time they paid for. I'm sure this has both plus and minuses with regards to time, schedule, points, tracks I'm better at, etc...etc... but people(at least I) really like to get what they paid for. Hence my post....I'm trying to get a take on what happens IF....scenario. Starting from the back of a 500 ulwgp class is about like starting at back of 600 ss race 15 years back....its not so friendly and not so fun!

I'm good, thanks for clarification replies.
    Name:  facepalm-oxford-dictionary-cover.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  63.8 KB

I love you man!
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990

LMAO!!!!

Love you too, brother!

Its actually better when you have to click the link, rather than having the picture show in the context immediately....then anticipation of the picture is what makes it so freaking funny....I'm dyin' over here!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Its actually better when you have to click the link, rather than having the picture show in the context immediately....then anticipation of the picture is what makes it so freaking funny....I'm dyin' over here!
    Lol! Get your *** to the track man!
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990