Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Motorcycle Racing, CMRA rules, and other ?’s.

New to Motorcycle Racing, CMRA rules, and other ?’s.

Hey guys,

New to tracking a motorcycle.
    I have been racing cars through NASA and WRL since 2012 and am transitioning to bikes.
    I came across a deal I couldn’t pass up on a race prepped 2002 GSXR 750, I would have preferred something in a lower class.. but, the price was right for a “starter” bike.

That being said—-

Tech Regs
    This bike last saw the track in... 2009-2010? And had been raced with MCRA, CMRA, and CCS from pre2005-2009. To the best of my knowledge.

Assuming this bike met all of the tech regs in 2009-2010 when time bike was last gone through... what regs have changed that I should be aware of that may require major updates to components for legality?

So far 5.3gg stands out as far as case covers/replacements are concerned. I’m not sure what others are doing for bikes that either have rare non-oem replacements or replacements that just flat out do not exist.
    Am I to assume as well that a race fairing kit “covering” these areas do not satisfy this rule?

Tires
    Other major question: I most likely will not be at the level necessary to race within my first year or two. (This is just speculation and I’m no motorcycle savant.) There are quite a few tire options to select from... And my auto racing background says don’t use DOT race compounds unless you understand what lesser compounds tell you through physical and audible feedback.
    Not wanting to waste a tires ability with my newbie abilities, am I better off not breaking the bank and going with a set of semi-more aggressive street tires to learn on? Or do I just hop right to an aggressive compound?
    What compounds do you recommend for learning that have multiple weekend longevity to increase seat time?
    Later on... what compounds are people running “competitively”? Can I expect more than one weekend out of these tires as far as “tread depth” is concerned, regardless of heat cycling?

Gear
    I like my skull.... a lot...
    Is there any reason to not justify the purchase of a nearly $800 helmet? (Shoei X-14)

I’m a tall, skinny rider...6’3 and 165lbs.
    Are my suit options limited to custom options for proper,safe fitment?

Gloves have been purchase and boots are on their way...

Tracks
    I’m in KC, I’ve raced at Hallett before in a car and the drive is reasonable...
    But it looks like we don’t go any further north towards tracks like HPT, RPM, MPH, GMP.
    And with the risk of being laughed out of the forums...
    With seat time and literal driving to the track seat time concerned. Are there any track day orgs that run at HPT? Or are those days done for?

I think that just about covers it...

Feel free to throw other tips my way!

-Andrew

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I'm in Kansas City also
    Heartland Park has track days once a month. I'm also a control rider come out and ride with us
    Monday May 28
    Sunday June 17
    Sunday July 8
    Sunday Aug 5
    Monday Sept 3
    Sunday Oct 14
    ---because without beer, things do not seem to go as well

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You don't have to break the bank on a helmet. The more expensive ones give you things light weight reduction, better airflow, better aerodynamics and such. As long as the helmet is Snell or ECE certified, you should be good to go. In an independent test, there were several $99-150 helmets that matched the protection of the $500+ helmets. The one golden rule though is make sure you get one that fits your head shape and is the correct size. An ill fitting helmet can be just as dangerous as a cheaper helmet.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Welcome Andrew!
    Robert Lackey with Bison Track can give you a great deal on a set of leathers.
    I use the Bell Race Star helmet. It fits and feels great. Cheaper than $800
    Tires
    I use Dunlop Slicks medium compound and they last forever! I’m pretty sure I still have the same front from Houston!
    Steve or Sarah with Dunlop can help you further in that category.

Status
    Expert
    If no one has updated you...you will need a front brake lever guard, and a rear light for rain racing, Go have some fun !!!

It should be reasonably easy to find aftermarket case cover replacements. I recommend Woodcraft for that kind of thing - their products are just really well-designed and are easy to service. I checked their website, and they've got covers for a 2002 GSXR 750. They're not cheap, but motorcycle racing isn't cheap either.

My two cents on tires: if you can easily run warmers (you have stands and a generator), run race tires. I say this because you're probably going to improve much more quickly than the lifespan of a street tire. Something like a Diablo Rosso III might last you for 10-15 track days at an intermediate pace, sure. But (hopefully) you're not going to be doing 10-15 track days at an intermediate pace. You'll do 2-3 intermediate, 1-2 advanced, and then you'll have "outgrown" the capability of the tire while it's still got 60% tread. Meanwhile, a race tire won't wear *that* much more if you're not pushing it. Back when I was a new novice, I'd get 4-5 track days out of other people's take-offs. You could go for a "hypersport" tire like a Q4 or a Supercorsa SP, but for that you'll be paying basically the same price as a race tire for a little bit more life and (in my mind) a larger bit less grip and stability.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    As far as tracks go, those were all midwest tracks or worse, and for a club centered out of texas, no we don't go that far. I just moved down here from Omaha nebraska and have been to those tracks you mentioned. Hastings is Nebraska and would be like 13+ hour drive for close people, and worse for other people here if you DONT account for trailers and hauling. RPM, previously MAM....is underwater, so that one really isn't relevant. Having come from Omaha NE there aren't alot of great tracks close, nor racing. You have to do considerable travel.

But we are at Hallet in a couple weeks, and friday is the track experience "trackday"

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Tires all depend on pace. hard to give you a recommendation there. However if you want something that will last longer and is fine for "track day" pace. Look at the Q4.

As far as leathers I think you can find something off the rack. I,m 6’5 2hundred something. The larger alpine stars I can fit into although tight and I have a set of off brand that I’ve been wearing since i started. They came right off the rack. Although for a few more dollars you could get a custom one. Helmet wise it has to be less than 5yrs old. Find the shape of your head, REVZILLA has videos on head shapes. They let you know what helmets are best for that shape. Make sure it fits. It,s not like car racing where a little loose is ok. Once your helmet hits the ground it’ll be inspected any sign of damage may cause it to fail. Think of that when buying. More expensive doesn’t really mean safer usually just more options and better graphics and a little less weight. Have fun!!

Status
    Expert
    I think I have a new set of engine covers. I bought these as a backup for my 01 1000 and never needed them. Let me know if you are interested.
    Café racer Inc is in the KC area and Greg has a ton of knowledge about what you'll need and sells everything.
    Darnell Dorsey
    Expert 87