Thread: 86' VFR700

86' VFR700

Hey guys I've got a couple of 1986 VFR700. 1 is an old race bike from back when the when th CRRC was a thing(before my time). It was my dad's bike before I was born so its got some sentimental value to it. The other is a donor that race rarely well while I was in high school we brought it to most events so i could ride it on the parade lap. Unfortunately it really hasnt been touched since I graduatted 9 years ago. Life got in the way. I'm planning on restoring both bikes. And maybe using the old race bike in the classic races. I know it wont be competitive most likely but I want to do it for the fun and ive at that point in my life where i can actually afford to do it. Does anyone have any knowledge about these bikes. (Im sure someone does) I was looking to do a wheel conversiom on both for a better selection of tires that aren't 130 section for the rear. Also maybe upgrading the forks as well. Ive seen on a couple forums that a guy has done an older gsxr 750 conversion but no real write ups. Im sure most of you will think its a waste of time but like I said they have a special place in my heart and I dont see them alot. If you would be willing to let me tap into your knowledge on them that would be awesome. And could you pm me. Thanks in advance.

I knew a guy years ago that used cbr600f2 wheels and forks on his vfr500. I have no knowledge of what he had to do to get it to work tho (machining spacers etc) but you might start in that area.

Has anyone used Airtech bodywork? Was the quality of the product good or bad. https://www.airtech-streamlining.com...7501986-88.htm Is there another company that makes fairings for older bikes like the vfrs?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Airtech bodywork is lighter and doesn't crash quite as well as some like Sharkskinz but it isn't bad.
    I suggest taking a long look at using F2 or F3 wheels and a F3 front end for that old Honda. I think you will find it the easiest conversion to make work and perform well. According to the rule book as long as you use era specific replacement parts you are fine changing the bike in Classic.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Airtech will likely be the only supplier that will offer anything for the 700. Sean is right in that F2/F3 wheels will be your best shot at a wheel conversion.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Airtech will likely be the only supplier that will offer anything for the 700. Sean is right in that F2/F3 wheels will be your best shot at a wheel conversion.
    Well yeah, IF SEAN SAYS IT.....lol

Well I pm you about front forks if u have any question let me know. As for body work there is Beasley composites in Ohio that makes them. Having had both air tech and Beasley airtech might be lighter. Held up in crashes for most part never been down on Beasley but it feels more substantial. Good luck!