Thread: Number Plates

Number Plates

I couldn't find it in the rule book. Can we run colored numbers on white plates now? I remember seeing something posted somewhere.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Garcia View Post
    I couldn't find it in the rule book. Can we run colored numbers on white plates now? I remember seeing something posted somewhere.
    Pg 19 2019 CMRA Rule Book

5.3 Motorcycle Requirements

Riders and Teams may run any stylized number font and color(s) deemed to meet minimum standards of legibility as judged by the Chief Technical Inspector. Numbers should be at least 6” high and allow visibility of the underlying background plate color. Numbers should be outlined or contrasting sufficient to distinguish them clearly from the background plate color. Riders are strongly encouraged to submit number plate/number design art to the Director of Competition for approval prior to having decals printed (or numbers painted on bodywork).
    The final decision for number plate conformity and legibility rests with Event Officials. Riders not providing legible numbers will be required to modify the number plate/background, or numbers themselves.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    After corner working at the last round I have to say that some are terrible. Whoever is giving the ok on numbers almost needs to back off about 50 feet and take a look with the bike in motion before deciding. Yellow on white or other bright colors all blend together when you're looking for a bike on track and putting an outline on the numbers didn't seem to help.

I'll also recommend that whenever possible we put numbers on the sides of the lowers near the back tire. Those were the easiest see as bikes went by, especially on the modern bikes with skinny tails that only have room for the number on top. That top position is about useless unless the bike is laying on its side! lol
    Sloan Essman # 228
    07 SV650s

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Pg 19 2019 CMRA Rule Book

5.3 Motorcycle Requirements

Riders and Teams may run any stylized number font and color(s) deemed to meet minimum standards of legibility as judged by the Chief Technical Inspector. Numbers should be at least 6” high and allow visibility of the underlying background plate color. Numbers should be outlined or contrasting sufficient to distinguish them clearly from the background plate color. Riders are strongly encouraged to submit number plate/number design art to the Director of Competition for approval prior to having decals printed (or numbers painted on bodywork).
    The final decision for number plate conformity and legibility rests with Event Officials. Riders not providing legible numbers will be required to modify the number plate/background, or numbers themselves.
    Thanks Walter!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloan Essman View Post
    After corner working at the last round I have to say that some are terrible. Whoever is giving the ok on numbers almost needs to back off about 50 feet and take a look with the bike in motion before deciding. Yellow on white or other bright colors all blend together when you're looking for a bike on track and putting an outline on the numbers didn't seem to help.

I'll also recommend that whenever possible we put numbers on the sides of the lowers near the back tire. Those were the easiest see as bikes went by, especially on the modern bikes with skinny tails that only have room for the number on top. That top position is about useless unless the bike is laying on its side! lol
    Sloan, The problem is that most ignored the requirement to seek approval on stylized numbers and colors. I've been looking through photos from the last round and last season and will be contacting riders that will need to correct their numbers before the start of next season. Starting at the first round in 2020 we will inform riders that need to correct their numbers and place them in a trouble log. If the numbers are not corrected by the next round we will not allow them on track until the issue is corrected.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    FWIW - I noticed a bike with no backing plate during endurance, just black numbers on a windscreen, as well as a bike with apparently no rear numbers at all (maybe they were on the side, I just saw a Hart photo of it). Also in Hart photos, I saw a bike being sprinted with number plates that did not match the rider’s number; possible I misunderstood what I saw, like maybe it was actually a photo from practice and Hart miscategorized.

I hope we get to retain the flexibility, but these seemed a bit far off.
    Provisional Expert #98