Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Dear CMRA License holders,
    Beginning with the 2020 racing season all CMRA racing events will become AMA sanctioned.
    This will require all racers participating in CMRA events* to also hold a valid AMA membership in addition to a CMRA competition license.

Since 2018 the CMRA has held an AMA Charter. This is somewhat of an administrative formality that associates the two brands and creates a communication path between the organizations.
    During this time the AMA has “grandfathered” competition licenses to CMRA competitors into Moto-America events.
    Per AMA rules, one criteria for being granted a competition license is holding an amateur license from an AMA sanctioned organization. Because of strong relationships between AMA/MA & CMRA, this was waived in 2018 & 2019.

There are numerous benefits to an AMA membership that will benefit all CMRA racers.
    • The majority of the amateur clubs in the US have become AMA sanctioned (WERA, ASRA, AFM, MRA, CRA, USBA, CMRC). This is creating a pathway to commonalities in rules packages and best practices.
    • As Moto-America continues to introduce transition classes (Jr. Cup, Twins Cup, Stock 1K) providing a clear path for amateur racers to “test” themselves in the professional ranks.
    • AMA Roadside Assistance – This is a nationally recognized program that many CMRA License holders/AMA members currently utilize roadside emergencies with both race transporters and all personal vehicles.
    • The AMA is internationally recognized as a leader in protecting motorcyclists rights. This includes on-road, off-road, closed course….
    • Numerous discounts on a wide range of products and services, including insurance, hotels, motorcycling gear, events….

The annual AMA membership is $50.00 and can be purchased through a link on the cmraracing.com (coming shortly) or through https://americanmotorcyclist.com/join-the-ama/. If you use the promotional code CMRA, the club will be credited $5.00 for each new membership and $2.50 for each renewal. These proceeds will be earmarked for the CMRA Safety Fund.

Points of clarification:
    • AMA membership in not included with your CMRA license and must be purchased separately.
    • AMA membership can be secured at any time prior to pre-registration/registration the first CMRA event for 2020 (MSRH February 15-17)
    • Proof of AMA membership will be required to register for 2020 CMRA competition events

*AMA membership is not required to attend the CMRA Riders School
    *Jr Motard riders will be granted a complimentary AMA day pass for each event

We appreciate everyone’s support as we prepare for 2020!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alex Howard; 12-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    Harry Tomlinson #24
    GMAN Racing
    CMRA BOD 1998-9, 2006-9, 2012-3, 2017-9

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I think the question many will have that appears to be explicitly stated above: if I want to race with the CMRA, I have to pay the $150(?) membership PLUS another $50 to AMA?

Also, sounds like this applies to partial year memberships
    Provisional Expert #98

Shandra Crawford
    When are the cmra licensing forms for 2020 coming out? If they're due by Jan 1, I hope it's soon.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    This will require all racers participating in CMRA events* to also hold a valid AMA membership in addition to a CMRA competition license.
    Harry Tomlinson #24
    GMAN Racing
    CMRA BOD 1998-9, 2006-9, 2012-3, 2017-9

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Not happy about this.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandra Crawford View Post
    When are the cmra licensing forms for 2020 coming out? If they're due by Jan 1, I hope it's soon.
    A number of items relating to license renewals and team registration were finalized at yesterdays meeting. Forms are in production today and will be available tomorrow morning.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Blog Entries
    Deja Vu

The flyer looks the same too lol

I don't like this. We should not be forced to join the AMA. BTW, I am an AMA member but this is wrong. They can continue waiving us.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tomlinson View Post
    There are numerous benefits to an AMA membership that will benefit all CMRA racers.
    • The majority of the amateur clubs in the US have become AMA sanctioned (WERA, ASRA, AFM, MRA, CRA, USBA, CMRC). This is creating a pathway to commonalities in rules packages and best practices.
    Does wera require this? Last time I raced with wera, I was never asked for ama membership.

• As Moto-America continues to introduce transition classes (Jr. Cup, Twins Cup, Stock 1K) providing a clear path for amateur racers to “test” themselves in the professional ranks.
    Many of the members club racing aren’t planning to go race MA

• AMA Roadside Assistance – This is a nationally recognized program that many CMRA License holders/AMA members currently utilize roadside emergencies with both race transporters and all personal vehicles.
    I don’t know about others, but my insurance already covers this for me.

• The AMA is internationally recognized as a leader in protecting motorcyclists rights. This includes on-road, off-road, closed course….
    This can be debated

• Numerous discounts on a wide range of products and services, including insurance, hotels, motorcycling gear, events….
    Discounts is a small point. Many here would never use them.
    IMO, bad move. Maybe it was forced, I don’t know that. But not thrilled to be forced to pay for a membership that will allow me to race with the Cmra when I already have a Cmra membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Klesel View Post
    IMO, bad move. Maybe it was forced, I don’t know that. But not thrilled to be forced to pay for a membership that will allow me to race with the Cmra when I already have a Cmra membership.
    Yes, WERA requires it now as well -
    http://www.wera.com/fees/Default.asp
    AMA Membership - $49 (Required for all WERA Racers) - Available at AMA's WERA site
    These were the other organizations I could find info on.

ASRA/CCS
    http://www.ccsracing.us/forms.html

AFM
    Can't find info - 2020 forms not up

MRA
    https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ioned-in-2020/

CRA
    Can't find info - 2020 forms not up

USBA
    Appendix 2 Page 49
    https://www.utahsba.com/wp-content/u...-Rule-Book.pdf
    https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ation-in-2020/

So, the only people it benefits are those who want to race MotoAmerica?
    Oh, and those who want a patch or sticker to add to their arsenal?

Asking for some friends that is.

Was this put in place because the few people who wanted to do MA were initially considering having to race in an AMA sanctioned organization before doing MA a year or so ago?