Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Compared to how much this game cost to play another $50 is pocket change. But do we have to run an AMA sticker on the bike?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    If you’re already an AMA member then the question begs why do you even care? Serious question.
    I care because I am thinking of the new racers and the racers who just want to club race. Which is the majority of the club. The CMRA fees alone are high enough that it keeps guys from racing as is. Increasing the yearly dues by 1/3 is a HUGE increase. I see no reason to pay the AMA for our club sanction (which we have never needed) and which has been running since '73. There is zero benefit to forcing our members to join. The ones who wish to receive AMA benefits can do so on their own.

So to simplify as to why I care: CMRA fees are enough of a deterrent to racing without adding an additional fee that is not actually needed.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hertell View Post
    I care because I am thinking of the new racers and the racers who just want to club race. Which is the majority of the club. The CMRA fees alone are high enough that it keeps guys from racing as is. Increasing the yearly dues by 1/3 is a HUGE increase. I see no reason to pay the AMA for our club sanction (which we have never needed) and which has been running since '73. There is zero benefit to forcing our members to join. The ones who wish to receive AMA benefits can do so on their own.

So to simplify as to why I care: CMRA fees are enough of a deterrent to racing without adding an additional fee that is not actually needed.
    Spot on.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Rab, I've raced at the national level. I've previously been an AMA member. I fully and completely understand the bigger picture. I consider this extortion. No amount of explaining or clarification will change my view on the topic. It won't necessarily stop me from racing with CMRA, but it certainly taints my experience.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    As a 20+ year member of AMA and as the former President of MSTA (a AMA sanctioned org) I can tell you without a doubt the reward will not warrant the loss. Unless we are using their insurance program the gain is possibly a few riders not having to go race a wera, afm, etc race vs the loss of a current/future members. CMRA is made up of far more racers who have no intent in pro racing. The vast majority.

The balance is not worrying about a couple dozen guys getting points to go race MA vs someone paying 50 bucks. The focused result should be growing and retaining members who support the club financially while cultivating a means for those that want to go pro without burden to the majority.

Will we loose people over this, yes. I had two guys convinced to come back next year after being away for couple years to do superteams if that was to be had again. Both called me. they are out this is no benefit to them. So CMRA loses 200 bucks for 3 events (600 total) and we haven't even done license renewal.

For me it doesn't matter Im already a member so there is no extra burden but I think this will have a counter productive result overall. Believe it or not the majority of people racing in CMRA do have a cost vs benefit line and I feel this will be a deterent for more than it benefits.

Keith and Ron are spot on on this one.

Now as a AMA member there are some good discounts and benefits with membership so hopefully everyone will evaluate that before they decide it's not worth the 50 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    My point of view has little weight compared to some of the other folks that have posted... That said, I fall into the boat that most previous posters are referencing. I'm SUPER new to this. Last year was my first year competing... and as a novice with ZERO aspirations of doing anything at the pro level, I can't help but wonder, "what's in it for me... why" and "here's another 50 bucks I gotta hide from my wife" lol.

I want/hope to be competitive within the CMRA ranks one day, but I will NEVER make the jump to MotoAmerica. I completely understand that SOME do have those aspirations and will make the leap (how many into the club fall into that category). I also understand that this is an incredibly expensive sport, even when you try to do it on a grassroots budget like I do... as others have said, $50 isn't the end of the world, BUT it's $50, and I'm curious as to what the benefits are for for all racers, specifically a novice like myself.

If the answer is, we need the money to keep the club afloat... Then it is what it is. At the end of the day, it's a business and you've got to make the most financially responsible decision. That said, we are your customers. Transparency and communication are key to the relationship.

It's probably not going to deter me coming back next season, but I do find it frustrating.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    If it's only $50/yr, then why doesn't the club just lower the annual membership cost to offset it?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Two facts:

1. The AMA has invented a foolproof extortion scheme.
    2. There is no way around paying extortion.

My guess is the short term revenue boost the AMA will see will eventually be swallowed up by the bad blood they are creating. This discussion is happening in lots of clubs right now. I think its pretty short sighted but its not the first time that org has made a bad decision nor will it be the last.

I just feel bad for the clubs who have to explain and defend it with their members. Not a good place to be in.
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tomlinson View Post
    If you use the promotional code CMRA, the club will be credited $5.00 for each new membership and $2.50 for each renewal. These proceeds will be earmarked for the CMRA Safety Fund.
    I tried this promo code and got "CMRA is not an applicable promo code for this product" - suggestions?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fox View Post
    I tried this promo code and got "CMRA is not an applicable promo code for this product" - suggestions?
    Its not active yet. Don't worry about the code.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)