Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Blog Entries
    I'm renewing my CMRA license.
    I'm renewing my AMA membership because they promote motorcycles and racing
    At 66 I'll never race Moto America but I still want to support the sport so future generations will still be able to ride before the tree huggers ban internal combustion bikes both on and off road.
    (and just to P/O Greta)

Brap...
    BK
    Bill Klindworth
    68 Still kicking... just a bit slower #737

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Klindworth View Post
    I'm renewing my CMRA license.
    I'm renewing my AMA membership because they promote motorcycles and racing
    At 66 I'll never race Moto America but I still want to support the sport so future generations will still be able to ride before the tree huggers ban internal combustion bikes both on and off road.
    (and just to P/O Greta)

Brap...
    BK
    TRUE DAT!
    Ive re-newed my license , my AMA membership was already intact , Ive registered my UTLWE team, I've registered for SUPERTEAMS, My T60 RIDERS are ready! I cant wait for the 2020 cmra season to start!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Dominguez View Post
    TRUE DAT!
    Ive re-newed my license , my AMA membership was already intact , Ive registered my UTLWE team, I've registered for SUPERTEAMS, My T60 RIDERS are ready! I cant wait for the 2020 cmra season to start!
    /\/\/\

Bill Klindworth
    68 Still kicking... just a bit slower #737

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Webb View Post
    How do you get this discount as I have not bought a transponder yet?
    Shoot Walter an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    All motorcyclist should be AMA members. The AMA protects your rights to ride everyday! Without the AMA our rights to ride would have been reduced long ago. In the last 5 years alone the AMA has fought the Lead Law and Euro Beef Tariff. The Lead Law was a law being passed to keep minors from riding motorcycles because lead was used in some of the materials used to build a motorcycle. Had this been passed the motorcycle industry would have collapsed. Without children riding, there will be far less future riders and racers. A Beef Tariff was placed on US imported beef into Europe. So in retaliation the US was going to pass a 200% tariff on European motorcycles. This would have greatly effected a lot of American Motorcycle businesses. This would have increased the retail price of European motorcycles dramatically. Many Euro motorcycles dealerships would have been forced out of business. The AMA fought hard to make sure the Tariff was not passed. After 2 years of fighting they succeeded.

For me, being an AMA member was part of being a motorcyclist. Many organizations required it but I renewed my membership every year on my birthday regardless. I get that it feels like its being forced on you and if its forced, you hate it. However, this is your way of giving back to the motorcycle community. Without our membership dues, they can't fight for our rights to ride and race. This is not an easy fight! Most of the world hates motorcyclist and think we are crazy idiots. They don't want us on their streets or dirt for a long list of ridiculous reasons. If Sportbikes get outlawed for street use, guess what. The manufactures will not be importing Sportbikes any longer. This will spiral down and eventually you will not have a roadracing bike any longer. I see on a daily basis how close some of these laws are to being passed. If the AMA isn't there fighting against these laws, they will get passed. Shortly after we will all be racing bicycles not motorcycles.

You ask what are the benefits? The only benefit that should matter is that the AMA fights everyday for the motorcycle industry and your rights to get to ride and race.
    Private lessons available at MSR and ECR
    One on One or groups up to 5 students
    Email typhoonpowersports@yahoo.com or visit me on Facebook.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Webb View Post
    How do you get this discount as I have not bought a transponder yet?
    AMA Discounts and Deals

Scroll down to MyLaps log in and get the discount code.

Go to the MyLaps website and order what you need.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    How does one register? I think that's gotten lost in all this

For clarity, I'm actually asking because I don't want to check the wrong box or something on their site and find out I got the wrong membership... and wouldn't know until I rushed to register or renew CMRA stuff.

EDIT: I'm trying it out without help! I could get a 3yr membership for no discount? Hilarious. I'd rather get a Life Member Plus for $29. I guess that won't work. I'd also like a discount for the price of the magazine subscription.
    Last edited by Josh Henke; 12-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Provisional Expert #98

Ty has hit the nail dead on the head..... Thank you Sir!! And ps, I have more tires for you that you can set lap records on... just a wee bit of cord showing, but you can handle it. Brandie

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Okay, I registered. The membership number comes in email within a couple minutes. I just emailed my CMRA license renewal, too.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The argument against is not about whether the AMA does good things for the motorcycle community. The argument about all motorcyclist should belong is a great conversation and yes perhaps all motorcyclist should belong but the choice should be up to the individual not to a governing body of a second organization. I have been an AMA member for a long time but it is by choice and I do believe they do good overall. However, that argument is like saying I have to belong to the NRA because I like and use firearms, I have to belong to AOPA because I am a pilot, I have to belong to ARRL because I have an amateur radio operators license. I don't belong to those others because I don't want too for various reasons.

Let's be honest about what this gives the organization. We get to be listed as a sanctioned organization. Great and in return for giving them several thousand dollars through our racers we get a few blurbs in the magazine perhaps in passing articles or maybe a few event dates get published. For a select few it allows them to go race MotoAmerica which is awesome really. I know I like seeing the CMRA racers on the video feeds. However that is a very small percentage.

What do the other racers get in return, a few discounts that barely any will actually use and maybe the right to say they race AMA sanctioned racing which sounds really good at a bar in the middle of night when you are picking up girls (or guys).

An argument point was made by someone that this will help cultivate new racers and help forward the pro racing circuit. Well yes it forwards the pro racing circuit to a point but I fail to see how this will actually cultivate new racers for the organization. Not a good argument but we are the only organization in the immediate area. New racers will already race with us but I venture to say noone is going to get into the sport because we have this sanctioning. I also doubt highly anyone in the area is going to the east or west coast or upper Midwest to do club racing if they live in the area.

Is sanctioning a bad thing, absolutely not for the organization as it does put us on an even par with other orgs however forcing the membership on those who have no interest in doing anything beyond the club level does and has already had an impact. I know of 7 racers who will not be returning next year or this silly argument. I also understand that the AMA has this requirement to be sanctioned and that there is little that can be done with that but I ask to what end will the CMRA bend?

My example is this, per AMA guidelines CMRA must submit a copy or our rulebook for approval in the sanctioning process. Let's say for argument sakes only they come back and say for 2020 all racers are required to wear suits with automatic air inflation devices. Are you going make all members abide? For a club racing organization it becomes a slippery slope. When I was president of MSTA we had this happen where they changed the rules on what was required to get their insurance for our events. We complied and it event attendance went down about 8% the next year.

In summary, AMA is good and yes people should belong, sanctioning is overall good for perception of the org, some but few racers will greatly benefit but it is wrong to force anyone to belong if they don't want (which I know is an AMA rule) and is a kin to getting a job in a closed union shop.....pay us or else get out. There should have been open debate before the decision was made for voicing of opinions. I greatly support and believe in our BOD and staff but this was handled wrong. I will renew and gladly attempt to race but I still don't like it forced on others.