Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Well, I guess it depends on whether or not we want to be seen as a relevant, credible motorcycle club, sanctioned by a national governing body, that promotes racing and fosters/creates racers or as a track day organization that holds timed events (Ridesmart Plus w/o the COTA). The club has a pretty rich history in having some very impressive people come through the ranks and if we are to be taken seriously and continue in this pursuit, this is a necessary evil. Walter signed off on +/- 25 licenses this year, a requirement of which was the racer producing a list of results and points accumulated in previous years during AMA sanctioned events. MotoAmerica has been more than kind to our current MA license holders in addressing this short coming. Prior to 2020, we have been a “charter”.

We also did consider the additional cost imposed on our membership and we did not consider it lightly. The balance is who do you discourage from racing with us because they need points for a MA/AMA license and who do you discourage because we are asking them to spend an additional $50 over the course of a year to race with us. We did not intend this as an inconvenience or financial hardship and certainly hope it will not discourage anyone from racing with us although we know full well it may. Apologies to those that it does. This is the way.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mears View Post
    Not happy about this.
    Please consider the bigger picture. We were late-adopters in this as other RR organizations already had in place. The club has a duty to foster talent, promote the sport and expand our base all while providing events for us to race at. To foster talent, we need to be sanctioned for Motoamerica to accept licenses and AMA license points earned at our event. This decision has strengthened the ecosystem and the relationship between MotoAmerica and us.

I Understand it doesn’t benefit everyone as some members have no goals to compete in motoamerica. However, many do and for our events to be sanctioned with AMA points needed for MA licenses, we can continue our success as a feeder class to MotoAmerica to test out skills out at the pro level.

We appreciate your understanding around the reasons for the new requirement. Unfortunately, it is a cost increase for any non-AMA members already competing. We can only ask for your understanding as to why we made this decision.

The decision was the correct one for the overall organization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    While it is unfortunate, I think the ubiquity of the AMA in racing forces the CMRA's hand. I think it would be bad for the club to resist and not be seen as legitimate in the eyes of pro racing. I think that rots the racing eco system in our region as younger and/or ambitious folks are forced into leaving and racing elsewhere.

That being said I am excited to no longer have my RIGHTS and FREEDOMS trampled by the CMRA forcing me to wear a helmet. Since I assume we now adopt the AMA's policy of protecting motorcyclists by not requiring helmets and lobbying against any mandatory rider training (like a new rider school, so dumb!).

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    While MA participation requirements certainly factored into the decision, we also already have a significant number of members who already carry AMA memberships.

There are a number of valuable benefits provided with AMA membership that's available to all CMRA license holders.

Overview of the AMA Roadside assistance program.
    https://www.finder.com/ama-roadside-assistance

I know of at least (3) CMRA License holders who took advantage of the roadside assistance this year for flat tires or keys locked in cars. In each case the savings well exceeded $50.00
    Harry Tomlinson #24
    GMAN Racing
    CMRA BOD 1998-9, 2006-9, 2012-3, 2017-9

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Coles View Post
    While it is unfortunate, I think the ubiquity of the AMA in racing forces the CMRA's hand. I think it would be bad for the club to resist and not be seen as legitimate in the eyes of pro racing. I think that rots the racing eco system in our region as younger and/or ambitious folks are forced into leaving and racing elsewhere.

That being said I am excited to no longer have my RIGHTS and FREEDOMS trampled by the CMRA forcing me to wear a helmet. Since I assume we now adopt the AMA's policy of protecting motorcyclists by not requiring helmets and lobbying against any mandatory rider training (like a new rider school, so dumb!).
    Very good Kyle. You will still be required to wear a helmet with cmra. On the freeway, that’s up to you. Grow yourself a stash and your hair out and you can head on down the highway with your rights in fact

Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)

Blog Entries
    The big picture is AMA wants members and $$$.

However, CMRA does not need the AMA for anything. We are a club org. If our guys want to go MA they can go MA. They know how to do it. CMRA doesn't need to do it for them.

Can I see an itemized list as to what CMRA gets in return. Not just a few wannabe MA racers but CMRA as a whole.

PS, I'm an AMA member. But I wasn't forced to be an AMA member.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hertell View Post
    The big picture is AMA wants members and $$$.

However, CMRA does not need the AMA for anything. We are a club org. If our guys want to go MA they can go MA. They know how to do it. CMRA doesn't need to do it for them.

Can I see an itemized list as to what CMRA gets in return. Not just a few wannabe MA racers but CMRA as a whole.

PS, I'm an AMA member. But I wasn't forced to be an AMA member.
    If you’re already an AMA member then the question begs why do you even care? Serious question.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Is the CMRA getting their event insurance through the AMA? Is there secondary participant insurance through the AMA?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Cmra is not using the event insurance AMA option because it does not covers our minimums. We will not have a change in insurance setup in 2020.

Rab McNaught #430

I feel like this is just another straw on the camel's back. The leadership has claimed to be searching for ways to reduce to cost to racers for years now, but the costs only seem headed in one direction...