Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I've kept my license the last 2 years even though I didn't make a single race. There was more bang for my buck at a track day than a single sprint race to be completely honest. When you mix in the cost of my family having to pay at the gate to watch me ride it was an easy decision. I'm seriously contemplating giving the race thing another try on a very limited basis (If I have the funds). While I could swing the 50.00, being forced to pay for membership in an organization I have no interest in joining and is of no benefit to me is not improving the odds that I'll be back. I'll never be in Moto America and I already have membership in a group that provides road side assistance.

Blog Entries
    OK< well I know of AT LEAST 3 current CMRA members that made every round that will not renew because of this.

Y'all should have just added the $50 into the damn CMRA fee. Y'all done screwed up.

Also, I'd like to know who made the decision.
    VonHertell.com
    Road &amp; Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Blog Entries
    BTW

NOT ONE BOD MEMBER HAS MENTIONED A SINGLE BENEFIT TO THE CLUB

I'll wait...................
    VonHertell.com
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hertell View Post
    BTW

NOT ONE BOD MEMBER HAS MENTIONED A SINGLE BENEFIT TO THE CLUB

I'll wait...................
    It's because they can't. Not because there isn't a benefit (which is obviously debatable), but because speaking on topics as a director without consent is a breach of their duty to loyalty. That's not specific or unusual to the CMRA, but to essentially all nonprofit organizations.
    -Cody

Hi Everyone,

I never post on the forums (except rarely to try to sell stuff that no one wants and rarely do social media, so this is a big deal for this ole gal....

I understand the frustration over the $50 as I have to be very frugal in my own life. Those of you that know my race van will agree that I am frugal and cost conscious gal. No one likes my van Fern, not even the police (except Danny).

The reason I think it is of the utmost importance that we all belong to the AMA, if possible, is to support them in their lobbying for legislation to continue to support the existence of what we love.... to ride and, for some, race. For me, it has nothing to do with the tow truck stuff, the motoamerica stuff, or anything ancillary like that... It has to do everything with supporting an organization that is protecting my right to ride and race a motorcycle. If we do not support this as a group, we will be in trouble down the line. For example, see this: RPM Act reintroduced in the U.S. Senate
    Tell Congress to support your right to race!

The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act (RPM Act, S. 2602) was reintroduced in the Senate by Sens. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.). The bi-partisan RPM Act would ensure that converting motor vehicles into competition-only vehicles remains legal. Street motorcycles are considered motor vehicles under the federal Clean Air Act.

The RPM Act states that it was the clear intent of Congress when passing and amending the Clean Air Act that motor vehicles, including motorcycles, used solely for competition would be exempt from the Clean Air Act’s prohibitions against modifying emission control devices.

The American Motorcyclist Association supports the bill and its protections.

Brandie talking again: the lobbying part is VERY important. It is like the NRA for motorcycles (kinda)....

I know the AMA has made some debatable choices in the past regarding safety for competition riders (a dear friend more important than myself told me this regarding the older days), but the foot in the door in Washington is such a key thing for us.

See this also when time: https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/loo...trID=C00120238

I love all of you guys and hope to see everyone at the track in February. If had the money, I would pay everyone's AMA fee. Brandie

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Thanks, Brandie. I forget about the stuff you mentioned. At the risk of going against the picketers (I agree with nearly everything said), I’ll confess I’m willing and able to pay the extra fee even though I have no expectations to receive direct benefit (it comes around, though). I hope folks can suck it up and let this uprising be a motivation to the decision makers to push back harder next year and find either an alternative solution or a more palatable message.
    Provisional Expert #98

Blog Entries
    Add 1 other racer to list of not renewing. Just got off the phone with him. That's four so far.

I agree with Brandie and Josh. I'm an AMA member. But....CMRA is not the AMA.

The last time this happened CMRA just had to have a certain number of AMA members (25%?) in the ranks and all BOD needed to be AMA Members.

IMHO, that is more than conceding to the 800 pound gorilla. They can take that or leave it. We don't need the AMA, they need us.
    VonHertell.com
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

50 x 500 is $25k...that's a lot of scratch in my opinion. BC brings up valid points, but I dont street ride, I race on occassion, I dirt ride on occassion and I dont think there is an eminent threat to either at the moment. So please help us asking, besides what I would get as an individual member, what is the benefit to us in the club?

You do get a 20% AMA discount with mylaps for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Simmons View Post
    You do get a 20% AMA discount with mylaps for what its worth.
    How do you get this discount as I have not bought a transponder yet?