Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 GSXR 600 brake upgrade help

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

2006 GSXR 600 brake upgrade help

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to improve the little gixxer's brakes. I have flushed and replaced brake fluid, new HH pads and have new-ish rotors but no significant improvement in brake performance.

Any ideas for improvement? Is this a known complaint with older GSXR'S?

Is a Brembo or other master cylinder a worthwhile performance upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Did the bike ever have the brake master recall done? IF not, nothing is going to help until it is replaced.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith View Post
    Did the bike ever have the brake master recall done? IF not, nothing is going to help until it is replaced.
    Hmmm, not sure and didn't know there was a recall on them. Thanks.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You can go to this site and enter your VIN. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Recalls

Look for the two circled areas in the results.

www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Throw in some new steel braided lines too. That with the MC should help.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Like Steve said, recall your MC, and then like Dirk said, throw in some SS braided lines. My experience with my 07 gixxer was that these things will help a bit but as you go faster and brake harder and harder, you will eventually want a better MC (Brembo, Acossatto, etc). Then well, if you know you will keep the bike, you might just as well save you some time (and pain) and get yourself a decent MC for Christmas .
    And different than what many told me when I was going through the same pain you are now, the calipers can be part of the problem too - I felt a big difference once I rebuilt my calipers too - Never needed to change rotors though - The OEM rotors are just fine.
    Marcelo Fartura
    CMRA sprint #25 (former #245)
    ULW Endurance #11 (Torque Addicts)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Thanks Steven, Dirk and Marcelo. I do have SS lines on it and appreciate the additional insight. I checked the VIN on the recall site and confirmed it has not been addressed.

Now I have to decide if I just go straight to an upgrade or have the MC fixed through Suzuki. I'll definitely go through the calipers and clean them up too.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex Lester View Post
    Thanks Steven, Dirk and Marcelo. I do have SS lines on it and appreciate the additional insight. I checked the VIN on the recall site and confirmed it has not been addressed.

Now I have to decide if I just go straight to an upgrade or have the MC fixed through Suzuki. I'll definitely go through the calipers and clean them up too.
    Have Suzuki replace the MC first (they will replace it -this is what the recall is about) - But start saving some $$ for the new MC anyway - it's on your future

On the calipers, just to make sure you got me right: By rebuild I mean take them a part and inspecting, cleaning/replacing the pistons and o-rings. This made a big difference to me.
    Marcelo Fartura

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The new OEM MC is no better than the old version. I have 2 K5 750's, one street, one track. Had the recall done on track bike and it didn't really make a difference. Finally upgraded to Brembo MC and its much better with SS lines and OEM rotors and calipers.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Petitpas View Post
    The new OEM MC is no better than the old version. I have 2 K5 750's, one street, one track. Had the recall done on track bike and it didn't really make a difference. Finally upgraded to Brembo MC and its much better with SS lines and OEM rotors and calipers.
    True, the new MC won't perform better unless your old one is already presenting the very same issue the recall is supposed to address. My advice would still be do the recall before anything else, however as I said, the after market MC is on his future regardless.
    Marcelo Fartura