Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front tire rotation question

Front tire rotation question

With the bike off the ground, how much free rotation should a front wheel have? I get about 1/4 of rotation. Just feels real tight.

Now, this week I am going to replace my brake pads and give a good cleaning to the calipers. I am also going to inspect the rotors and other various parts. I am just curious because I just feel other bikes I've owned had more free spin.

This bike is a 2000 GSXR 600.

That's pretty tight, yeah. With a good spin, you should see around a half to a full rotation. Brakes are the most likely culprit, but wheel bearings or just an overly-tight axle could cause that behavior too.

Carter,

Thanks! I am going to get in to it this week and hopefully its something simple.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Loosen axle pinch bolts and bounce the front suspension. Any misalignment in the forks can also cause binding and brake drag.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I had a teammate who will go unnamed, lets call him Chad Churley, who was obsessed with making the front wheel as free as possible. I once saw him get 4 turns out of an RS125 wheel. :-)
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

It’s the left caliper causing the friction. Going to do a good cleaning this week. Thanks for the tips all. @Michael, I don’t have access to that drive. Couldn’t view whatever it is.

Sorry about that. First time I’ve tried using iDrive. I opened up for viewing. Try again and please let me know if it works. Youtube is too much trouble.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roden View Post
    Sorry about that. First time I’ve tried using iDrive. I opened up for viewing. Try again and please let me know if it works. Youtube is too much trouble.
    worked for me.. smooth as butter! We used to run ceramic bearings and it was always fun to spin them and get similar results. Its just making sure everything is clean and aligned properly.
    Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place
    2018 250 ULWE Class Champion!
    2019 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2019 ULWE Overall Champion!
    2020 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2020 ULWE Overall Champion!

Second time I tried opening up the link and it worked. Thats crazy! Mine is 1/4 rotation with both calipers on, 3/4 rotation with just one on and like 1 1/2 or 2 with no calipers on.

No wonder I get passed in the straights...my front wheel has too much drag!!! lol