Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endurance tank?

Endurance tank?

So I noticed some added volume to a couple bikes fuel tank.... I was wondering per rules, how much volume can I add? I’m publicly asking as I had a few other teams ask me about this too... I want an exact amount cause I want to be legal. Never liked cheaters much.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Ditto. Also wondering about reserve tanks.

Maybe a keg on the tail
    Provisional Expert #98

6.5 of the rulebook.... looks like you can go up to 1,000,000 gallons as long as it complies with 6.5

1,000,000 gallons it is! I’ll get started writing my letter per 6.5. Hope it gets approved! Lol

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    There is currently no specific fuel capacity limit for endurance tanks. That being said if a fuel tank is enlarged to a point where it interferes with the riders ability to control the machine it will be disallowed. That would include stability issues that could arise from the weight transfer caused by fuel slosh in a large capacity fuel tank. Under no circumstances will auxiliary fuel tanks be allowed.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    What I don't understand is all the big vulnerable hoses on so many bikes. Quick dump systems like the IMS cans have in internal vent to displace the air so as fuel goes into the tank the air goes up into the dump can. Maybe just so it's easier to see when it's full but we've never had a problem knowing when ours is full and the vent hose is partially internal to the tank so it can't spill out in a tipover and then covered by the bodywork.
    Sloan Essman # 228
    07 SV650s

Thanks for clearing this up Walter.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The true measure how big you should go is the rider time limit per the rule book...if you can ride that long it is.

"No rider may race more than 2 consecutive hours without at least 30 minutes rest.
    Endurance races less than 121 minutes in length will require a mandatory rider change"
    Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place
    2018 250 ULWE Class Champion!
    2019 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2019 ULWE Overall Champion!
    2020 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2020 ULWE Overall Champion!

On the topic of fuel tanks and now mandatory overflow bottles...I'd like to propose a rule-ish that these overflow bottles may be emptied, if needed, during a red flag under grid marshall supervision.
    I just think a plastic bottle would be more apt to break open before a metal fuel tank in a "non upright position".

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Snag you one of these. I've had the 16oz version for 6+ years now. cheap and wont fuel rot. We drilled to size and added rubber grommets for the vent tubes to run into.
    https://www.dubro.com/products/fuel-...nt=27880844039
    Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place
    2018 250 ULWE Class Champion!
    2019 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2019 ULWE Overall Champion!
    2020 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2020 ULWE Overall Champion!