Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOTICE OF VOTE TO ACCEPT RESTATED CERTIFICATE OF FORMATION

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Blog Entries
    Walter and Jeff, thank you for the informative answers to various questions. I am happy to see this initiative re-tooled and moving forward to improve the CMRA operations and Board of Directors selection. I hope that it gets the support that it deserves.
    EX #51
    Village Idiots #1 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
    CMRA Board of Directors 2010-2014; 2016-2018

Below is a rewrite of the Nominations Committee section of the ByLaws. I believe this addresses the concerns that were brought forward. Thank you for you feedback

Section 6.03. Nominations Committee.
    Not later than July 1 of each year, the Board of Directors shall appoint a Nominations Committee to consist of at least two License Holders who have served as Directors in the past (but not currently) and who have been off of the Board for a minimum of 12 months prior to appointment. The Board of Directors will also solicit, via forum, for two or more non BOD/non exBOD licenses Holders to join the Committee. If any Committee member decides to become a nominee, they must resign from the Committee, due to conflict of interest. The Nominations Committee shall perform the duties described in Article Four of these Bylaws
    Jeff Phillips

BOD President '21, '22, '23

Blog Entries
    Should be 4 or more non bod members on the committee.

Also, discounting someone for missing the Jan 1st deadline for license renewal needs to be removed. Or, at least state that they can renew at the 1st race. Y'all are complaining about not enough BOD candidates but then 11 of them were not able to be included. I personally know of 2 that have been members for many years but didn't register on the 1st of Jan. one year and were excluded. Both of whom would make excellent BOD members.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

NOTICE OF VOTE TO ACCEPT RESTATED CERTIFICATE OF FORMATION

Keith
    You make very good points and we will discuss the 720 consecutive days at the next BOD meeting. We will revisit the 2 or 4+ non BOD again, our biggest concern is if we make it to large a number we might not be able to get enough participants and the committee would not comply with bylaws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff Phillips

BOD President '21, '22, '23

It used to be 720 days and the requirement wasn’t a January 1st renewal. I would research when the member renewed the previous years and use those dates. For example if someone renewed at the first round each year, then that was the date that was used. Even though licenses technically expired on December 31st each year, if they renewed close to the same time each year it was ok.

The 720 day rule was put in place to weed out people who weren’t involved in the club but would join at the last minute to run for the Board.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Selleck View Post
    The 720 day rule was put in place to weed out people who weren’t involved in the club but would join at the last minute to run for the Board.
    Just FYI the 2006 ByLaws requirement was "180 consecutive days", it was changed to "730 consecutive days" in the 2011 ByLaws and has remained consistent since.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Selleck View Post
    It used to be 720 days and the requirement wasn’t a January 1st renewal. I would research when the member renewed the previous years and use those dates. For example if someone renewed at the first round each year, then that was the date that was used. Even though licenses technically expired on December 31st each year, if they renewed close to the same time each year it was ok.
    The Bylaws have never made reference to 'January 1st renewal' but they have consistently required "consecutive days" of membership. There may have been some evolution of the rigor with which the ByLaws were applied as a matter of practice or policy, but strict interpretation of the ByLaws has never allowed a 'lapse of membership' between 12/31 and the first race insofar as eligibility to run for BOD election is concerned.

Just FYI from the archive, carry on ...
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hertell View Post
    Should be 4 or more non bod members on the committee.

Also, discounting someone for missing the Jan 1st deadline for license renewal needs to be removed. Or, at least state that they can renew at the 1st race. Y'all are complaining about not enough BOD candidates but then 11 of them were not able to be included. I personally know of 2 that have been members for many years but didn't register on the 1st of Jan. one year and were excluded. Both of whom would make excellent BOD members.
    Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion in my personal opinion only.

Frankly it’s all about commitment to me. Serving on the BoD is a big commitment. It’s much more of a commitment now than the last time that you served on the BoD. You can thank the post lawsuit legalities for that. With the level of commitment required it’s tough for me to justify placing trust in someone that can’t maintain their license continuity. Maybe a 10 grace period but over 40 days is just lazy. We don’t need lazy on the BoD.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Etheredge View Post
    Just FYI the 2006 ByLaws requirement was "180 consecutive days", it was changed to "730 consecutive days" in the 2011 ByLaws and has remained consistent since.

The Bylaws have never made reference to 'January 1st renewal' but they have consistently required "consecutive days" of membership. There may have been some evolution of the rigor with which the ByLaws were applied as a matter of practice or policy, but strict interpretation of the ByLaws has never allowed a 'lapse of membership' between 12/31 and the first race insofar as eligibility to run for BOD election is concerned.

Just FYI from the archive, carry on ...
    The 720 days requirement is verified for every nominee. Those that are disqualified due to license continuity in most cases have significant gaps (10 days are more) in licensing.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    The 720 days requirement is verified for every nominee. Those that are disqualified due to license continuity in most cases have significant gaps (10 days are more) in licensing.
    I'm one of those "non-serious racers". Been a member since 2000, but haven't sprinted since around 2003... well I hit one now and then but generally just endurance race. My practice has been to renew my license and sign up for the first race at the same time, a week or two before the first race, unless my endurance team pushes earlier for some reason. Just no reason to try and jump on it 1-Jan (or 5-Jan or...) when it's a couple of months until the first race and I'm in the middle of holiday stuff. No grid position stuff in it for me (that I know of, ref: "unless team pushes earlier") and so just my standard procedure. Could I make a note to try and renew on Jan 1? Yes. Would we have more eligible BOD candidates if we made the proposed change? Surely. But BOD's call of course.

Just one guy weighing in, and noting the possibility that there may be a bunch of other folks with the same approach. I'd be in favor of making it something like "2 years of continuous membership. The year's membership shall have started by the first race event to count as a full year." Or something like that.
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion in my personal opinion only.

Frankly it’s all about commitment to me. Serving on the BoD is a big commitment. It’s much more of a commitment now than the last time that you served on the BoD. You can thank the post lawsuit legalities for that. With the level of commitment required it’s tough for me to justify placing trust in someone that can’t maintain their license continuity. Maybe a 10 grace period but over 40 days is just lazy. We don’t need lazy on the BoD.

Exactly this.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage