Thread: 2016 gsxr 600 gearing

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

2016 gsxr 600 gearing

I recently purchased a 2016 gsxr 600. Any recommendation on gearing for Cresson?

Hi John,

I would start out with a 15T front sprocket and 44T rear sprocket to start. A fellow GSXR lover, Brandie Cox

To add to that, it is my opinion that the GSXRs tend to have a lot of engine braking (too much), so you can try a 43 if you need a little more roll speed. I currently sit at a 15/43 and honestly do not plan on changing that for the season for various reasons and I have a GSXR 600 as well.... Brandie Cox

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Thank you. I'll give that a try. I have a 44 on the rear now.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I've been thinking about this recently, my 2006 GSXR 600 has 15/44 right now. But after I went to COTA and wasn't hitting the rev limit in 6th, I realized that was way too tall for the CMRA tracks. I have a 45 tooth rear that I'm going to try and if that isn't enough I'll go to a 46. I feel like the slipper clutch helps decrease the harshness of the engine braking (the initial bite at least) and I'm about to get my ECU reflashed and can have the secondary throttle bodies close slower to decrease the harshness of slamming the throttle closed. I'll keep you updated with what I find but I was only using 2nd through 4th at Hallett so hopefully shorter gearing will help keep me in the power band more. I kept struggling on the exit of turn 6. 2nd gear was way too high in the rev range but 3rd kept bogging. Similar situation in turn 10 but not as bad as turn 6. I know gearing that aggressive isn't for everyone but I generally don't mind a lot of engine braking, mostly just looking for more exit drive to move my fat self.

Don't know if that is helpful, but I'll let you know what I find after MSRH this month. I'll start with 15/45 and go from there. I'm lazy so I'm mostly looking for a "one size fits all" setup for CMRA even if it's not perfect at each track but I think 15/44 is too tall for my preference.
    Last edited by Nathan Entz; 06-02-2021 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    One thing to note, I am running a 190 rear tire, not a 180. The 190 has a slightly larger circumference so you need slightly more aggressive gearing with a 190 to match what it'd be with a 180. It's not a drastic change but it is something to keep in mind.

Joe Sveum
    keep in mind that the edge circumference is identical with the 190 vs 180 pirelli so leaned over you aren't losing any RPMs.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Yeah that's a good point.

In case anyone cares for an update, I used 15/45 gearing this weekend at MSRH and I thought it was good. It was a big change from 15/44 though, it made way more of a difference than I was expecting. On Thursday and Friday I had trouble keeping the rear wheel spin under control on corner exits until I got used to it, and the engine braking is intense. I would hit top of 5th gear on the back straight so that was geared pretty well but I honestly don't know if it's any better than 15/44, just different. With the 45 you have to have more throttle control but can help you on corner exits if you can take advantage of it. The 44 is easier to ride but I feel like I lose some drive because of the taller gearing. I'll keep playing with it, but wanted to share my thoughts. I was hoping it'd be clear which choice is better but that's definitely not the case for me.