Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CMRA TO PARTNER WITH 3:16 TRACKDAYS IN 2022

  1. #1
    Administrator Walter Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Waco Texas
    Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Posts
    6,094

    Cool CMRA TO PARTNER WITH 3:16 TRACKDAYS IN 2022

    The CMRA is pleased to announce its partnership with 3:16 Trackdays to provide Friday practice at all Texas events in 2022.

    3:16 will be offering practice time for Novice and Expert racers along with track time and coaching for track day riders. The CMRA License School will also be offered at all events.

    More information on schedule format and pricing will be available soon.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    737
    Posts
    1,031
    Blog Entries
    2
    Great !
    Bill Klindworth
    68 Still kicking... just a bit slower #737

  3. #3
    This sounds terrible to me. On the surface it seems we just lost our Friday practice day and now will have to deal with a crowd of trackday riders if we want to practice before a race.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Allan Boyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shady Shores, TX
    Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    666
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roden View Post
    This sounds terrible to me. On the surface it seems we just lost our Friday practice day and now will have to deal with a crowd of trackday riders if we want to practice before a race.
    I understand your concern. For many years CMRA partnered with Lone Star Track Days to handle the Friday practice. It worked out very well. I think this is a good move for the club...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jeremy Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    75
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roden View Post
    This sounds terrible to me. On the surface it seems we just lost our Friday practice day and now will have to deal with a crowd of trackday riders if we want to practice before a race.
    I totally get where you’re coming from. Having done Friday’s back when LSTD ran them though, I never noticed any problem with the street guys being out there. Red flags usually were caused by the racers.

    One thing to consider, is the potential growth that this could bring to the club. It could get a normally track day only guy, to see and interact with racers, and might make them consider racing when they wouldn’t have done so otherwise.
    CMRA #75
    TipToes and Tonka Trucks Endurance #75
    Special thanks to R&R Tool and Die, G-Baby Racing, Cafe Racer

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Harvey View Post
    I totally get where you’re coming from. Having done Friday’s back when LSTD ran them though, I never noticed any problem with the street guys being out there. Red flags usually were caused by the racers.

    One thing to consider, is the potential growth that this could bring to the club. It could get a normally track day only guy, to see and interact with racers, and might make them consider racing when they wouldn’t have done so otherwise.
    I can see that, and that’s a good thing. I’ve done quite a few 3:16 trackdays and riding in the top level never had any issues. Ignacio is a great guy. But I just don’t see how all the lower level Trackday guys are going to get squeezed into the time available.

    Something else that comes to mind is safety. This is the day before a race. Will the Trackday bikes be required to pass the same tech we are? Especially when it comes to antifreeze and safety wired oil bolts and filters?

  7. #7
    Senior Member John McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    74
    Posts
    125
    I think this is a great idea. As stated, Lone Star used to run the Friday practice day, so this is nothing new really. Hopefully it will get someone that has never been to a CMRA event to stay for the weekend and maybe start racing.

    The other big plus here is that the CMRA does not need to rent the track or staff an event on Friday, which will reduce the cost to the club for those weekends. I would like to see how much this will save the club over a season.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kasey Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pharr, TX
    Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    272
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roden View Post
    I can see that, and that’s a good thing. I’ve done quite a few 3:16 trackdays and riding in the top level never had any issues. Ignacio is a great guy. But I just don’t see how all the lower level Trackday guys are going to get squeezed into the time available.

    Something else that comes to mind is safety. This is the day before a race. Will the Trackday bikes be required to pass the same tech we are? Especially when it comes to antifreeze and safety wired oil bolts and filters?
    I can't speak for how it will be run, but in the past LSTD ran three groups Street, Novice and Expert. Typically it was licensed racers only in Novice and Expert, trackday guys were in the Street group, with the light weight/Ultra light weight bikes in that group. I'm guessing it will be a similar format, with dedicated groups for CMRA Racers.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Lewis View Post
    I can't speak for how it will be run, but in the past LSTD ran three groups Street, Novice and Expert. Typically it was licensed racers only in Novice and Expert, trackday guys were in the Street group, with the light weight/Ultra light weight bikes in that group. I'm guessing it will be a similar format, with dedicated groups for CMRA Racers.
    Certainly don't understand the economics behind this unless the trackday vendor has to cover cost of track rental on those particular Fridays. Otherwise CMRA is possibly/probably losing money?

    Has anyone been paying attention to the times some of the guys are running on 400's. There will have to be concessions by someone to make this work if Kasey's predicted format is correct. I've ridden my 400 in trackdays twice and it was an absolute waste of time for me, certainly not the trackdays fault, but I wont spend the money.

    Trackday riders and racers should never mix(not in same sessions), the goals and motivations are not aligned the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •