Expert
    Bike #
    ^^^ +1
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom for putting things into perspective.
    The Lone Star Fridays were well run

I’m sure Ignacio & 3:16 will run a safe operation & will probably have to make some adjustments.
    Looks like they’ll have fewer riders on track at a time which will relieve congestion.

I’ll ride with 3:16 on Fridays before race weekend.
    Bill Klindworth
    68 Still kicking... just a bit slower #737

So Tom....it works just fine right up until it doesnt.
    If i recall correctly, youre an EMT, might have got your RN by now or might have chosen another path. Let me ask you a question and ask you to go back to your EMT days. You have a central command? Have to call report have to give a hand-off to a receiving team? Im sure you have. I took thousands as a Trauma nurse. My preparation is based on my knowledge, my experience and a freaking report. Telling me a GSW to the chest is coming in vs. telling me he's coming in w decreased breath sounds on right, hes combative, cool and pale, his Bp 80/p, w two large bore IV's gives me a helluva lot more to plan and prepare, than wait till he gets to your trauma room....despite the outcome.
    Last edited by Derek Thomas; 12-10-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Hey Brandie, I'll get a hold of you after I check it out

Hey All - just reading through the thread now so it seems if we just did the LSTD format it would be better received.

Lonestar did
    Street Group
    Novice
    Expert

We could expand that to 4 groups
    Beginner
    Intermediate
    Novice
    Expert

I think that would work better from the sound of it correct?

But then ... it will be Big Bike versus Little Bike .. and so on and so forth

I do know this, I trust an expert on a 300cc to get around novices on 300ccs more than I trust him to get around 600s and 1000s and vice versa

There will never be a completely perfect format but with less people on track and longer sessions it evens things out nicely

We run this format essentially at our camps, we have JC Camacho training riders like Ross Brady on the same track running very fast paces among Intermediates being coached. Less people on track makes more of a difference than y'all realize. And we are actually running even less for Friday Trackdays.

Lastly, this is not "Racer Practice" it's a 3:16 Trackday and y'all are invited to come ride with us, see how we operate, how the day flows
    People who register for our events know about our Golden Rules and our passing policy

It's true, we did have some race guests we allowed to ride with us FREE OF CHARGE who did not know our passing rules and got "talked to" however things were resolved.

At a 3:16 Trackway we allow passing anywhere and in any group but request it to be as far as possible from the rider you are passing. Treat others as you would like to be treated. And there is NOTHING to prove.

It's that simple

If anyone wants to get in touch with me and ask questions with a faster response please email me at iloveriding@316trackdays.com
    Last edited by Ignacio Pedregon; 12-12-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie Cox View Post
    Thank you so much Walter for your answer. I really appreciate it.

Ignacio, I would like to propose consideration of this format for the practice day: There is an awesome group out in California called FastTrack Riders. I was lucky enough to attend a trackday with them at AutoClub Speedway last year and will be going again next week. It is the best format I have ever seen. They are now introducing 4 groups. I feel they run a very tight and safe scenario that benefits all riders. It was a really neat experience. To give an idea of the laptime requirements, they have narrowed them down more closely to suit the actual levels. The level 4 advanced racer group is laptimes under 1:40. I was able to run a 1:34 high and I am just a midpack ish expert but I never felt cramped or concerned.

I would encourage re-visiting your format versus and wait and see approach. I would "Smokey The Bear" this scenario as the outcome would be so much more positive for your organization and ours. I want us to be happy and I want you to succeed. This certainly can work very well for all.

https://www.fastrackriders.com/collections/events

Sincerely,

Brandie Cox
    Brandie so this would mean regardless of bike size just split by lap times ?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Pedregon View Post

Lastly, this is not "Racer Practice" it's a 3:16 Trackday and y'all are invited to come ride with us, see how we operate, how the day flows
    iloveriding@316trackdays.com
    Ignacio with all due respect this is the problem. I haven't expressed concern here but have had chats with others.

It is your business and free to do as your model fits best for you and I will rrspect that always and never be critical as if I don't like it I simply won't attend.

However no matter what you call it, these are indeed racer practice when held the day before a race. There are many more of us that use friday as our practice time. Most of us don"t have memberships to ride when we want during member days and work schedules don't allow for consistent track days otherwise.

On Fridays many of us go out with people we anticipate to be racy with regardless if front pack or rear. I have "practice" riders that trust me and I them to push eachother. make close passes and otherwise learn from eachother to be racy. Mind you racing the actual race it is everyone for themselves. It is how we learn the track characteristics, what the bike is doing, how we feel etc.

Treating everyone as a trackday rider takes some of that away. It is a different mindset.

My other concern is your comment about smaller groups and capping the groups...cool but what about those of us that often can't commit until the last minute sometimes. I have a very unique job that is often variable depending on what is going on in the world. So if a group fills up are you saying I can"t ride friday because I can't commit a month out?

I respect you and your business model but ask is your standard the best match for fridays before a race weekend? Not sure myself but maybe it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Snyder View Post
    Ignacio with all due respect this is the problem. I haven't expressed concern here but have had chats with others.

It is your business and free to do as your model fits best for you and I will rrspect that always and never be critical as if I don't like it I simply won't attend.

However no matter what you call it, these are indeed racer practice when held the day before a race. There are many more of us that use friday as our practice time. Most of us don"t have memberships to ride when we want during member days and work schedules don't allow for consistent track days otherwise.

On Fridays many of us go out with people we anticipate to be racy with regardless if front pack or rear. I have "practice" riders that trust me and I them to push eachother. make close passes and otherwise learn from eachother to be racy. Mind you racing the actual race it is everyone for themselves. It is how we learn the track characteristics, what the bike is doing, how we feel etc.

Treating everyone as a trackday rider takes some of that away. It is a different mindset.

My other concern is your comment about smaller groups and capping the groups...cool but what about those of us that often can't commit until the last minute sometimes. I have a very unique job that is often variable depending on what is going on in the world. So if a group fills up are you saying I can"t ride friday because I can't commit a month out?

I respect you and your business model but ask is your standard the best match for fridays before a race weekend? Not sure myself but maybe it is.

Question 1 - "Close Passes" are relevant to the person being passed, in our Advanced Big Bike group the minimum lap time for the group is 1:53 seconds, it is my belief that anyone capable of this minimum lap time will have enough experience to handle closer passes but we ask (as is asked on practice days) to save the race for tomorrow, and pass courteously, why take chances like that and chance wadding up your ride before a race weekend?

why take risks?

I believe with the faster lap times, and less people, it will flow very smoothly

2. Limited spots, yes, what happens when an event is over sold is exactly what everyone is scared of, less people on track means less accidents, if you want quality time on track, less accidents, less crowded, you can't have it both ways. We need to limit sign ups and those willing to invest in uncrowded track time will learn the value and either use our product or not. We are going to offer a "membership" that gives you ability to cancel that is in the works now.

CMRA Friday Practice is gone guys, it was no longer affordable and sustainable for the club. It could have been no practice Fridays but someone had to take the risk to make them still happen.

Me and my wife took the risk, I certainly hope it is appreciated and well received, we will try our best.

You have a chance to come and try a very well run track day in an uncrowded format. It's the best we can do right now, offer you a place to ride, cheaper than before, with less people, until you come and try it everything else is an assumption.

If you have never ridden a 3:16 event you really are making assumptions

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Pedregon View Post

why take risks?
    Because thats what we do

2. Limited spots, yes, what happens when an event is over sold is exactly what everyone is scared of, less people on track means less accidents, if you want quality time on track, less accidents, less crowded, you can't have it both ways. We need to limit sign ups and those willing to invest in uncrowded track time will learn the value and either use our product or not. We are going to offer a "membership" that gives you ability to cancel that is in
    Wjy would I buy a membership? If I can attend likely already sold out by time I commit anyway. Not sure anyone ever complained about number of riders on a friday but maybe Im wrong.

Honestly If I can't get friday practice it is not worth the time and money to travel, hotel and all other expenses for one or two races. Probably based on your response I'll be done racing honestly.

Wish you the best luck with the endeavor

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Finally I can bring my trackdays friends to a race weekend.!

I really like the opportunity that 3:16 and CMRA are giving riders to get more people interested in racing. I remember every rider meeting Walter telling us to tell friends, to bring them with us so they can experience riding with racers and hopefully they can become one.
    I have several friends that do trackdays every chance there is one available, but don’t feel like they can ride with racers on a Friday race weekend due to not having a mentor or control rider checking up on them or giving them guidance, but now with this new format I’m sure they will make the trip to try it out and then hopefully get them interested in racing. We need to grow the sport and I believe this is a great chance of achieving this.

I was checking the race monitor app for Houston and Cresson and a great percentage of riders that race Saturday or Sunday did not even make the Friday practice. Not even the half day.! No wonder The club was not making it.

So for all of those racers that don’t go on Friday, nothing will change for you. Lol
    For all the expert racers, I’m sure there will be very few inexperienced riders in your class, knowing how 3:16 runs their trackdays. Always thinking about safety as the most important thing on track.
    Also knowing That there will be 2 organizations looking after us, you can’t ask for better way of handling a Friday practice/trackday.

My two cents will be that CMRA might consider renting out the transponders to street riders, and help out to monitor the first Friday practice of 2022 to see how the group is going? Also to gather data and seek ways of making it better?
    Lets welcome this new format and support our Club..!!!

Looking forward to 2022.! Happy holidays y’all