Thread: looking for tuning options 2008 sv650

looking for tuning options 2008 sv650

the bike started overheating racing in this heat. ive narrowed it down to no tune and a full exhaust. im looking for someone with the power comander or bazzaz they are able to sell or any other ideas. i hate to put the stock exhaust back on but i will if itll keep the bike from overheating. ill buy the stuff new if i have to but was wondering if anyone had it lying around or for sale.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I’ve owned my 2003 SV650 since new. Never had a tune, have run stock, slipon and full exhausts. Almost completely stock otherwise. Usually run 87 octane, but sometimes have run up to 93. Sprinted, enduranced a lot. Never had overheating issue. I doubt your exhaust is the problem. I’d spend time and effort toward addressing the cooling system
    Provisional Expert #98

didnt think to try higher octane. ive already installed a bigger radiator, temps dropped a solid 5 degrees. but racing at 225 degrees isnt good for the bike. last season for the most part the bike was stock naked. bike ran around 180. i bought another sv that had everything and swapped over everything. after putting on the fairings and exhause i noticed the bike running warmer around 200. now thats its summer its bumping on 230. ive been told by a few tuning can be a concern. bikes set lean then add a free flowing exhaust the bike runs leaner, and hotter. even tried removing the fairings to test and temps did drop but not much. thanks for chiming in

Status
    Novice
    I have a 2008 GSXR and had some over heating issues a year or 2 ago and checked thermostat and it was stuck open. I would just replace the thermostat once the bike has over heated once as they can be the issue. It is a routine maintenance item many people over look.

I also believe most Suzuki's also have a bleeder valve and seal. But could be wrong about your SV.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    i'd try a new radiator cap as well if you didn't put one on with the radiator swap.
    Sloan Essman # 228
    07 SV650s

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Get it up to temp rev the engine while holding the rt side radiator hose (with gloves of course). If the hose expands then contracts quickly you have a head gasket issue. Poor mans leakdown test. If no noticeable expansion it would be a good idea to do a leakdown anyway if you have or can get your hands on a tester. If it passes check the thermostat and cap.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Flush the cooling system, replace thermostat, replace radiator cap.
    Like mentioned above, if it continues to overheat, you likely have a bad head gasket…ask me how I know.

If it was running lean enough to overheat, it wouldn’t make enough power to pull through to 10k rpm’s.
    But also, for context, my bike was running around 210 at ECR.