Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A friendly safe riding tip

Re: A friendly safe riding tip

It's a good idea not to go all the way to the outside or all the way to the inside unless your one of the top 5 fastest guys on the track. You don't have to leave a lot of room, four or five feet is fine.
    If your new and you need the whole track it is a good indicator that you are riding out of your personal limits.
    By leaving a little room you increase both your safety and the guys who are passing you.

Troy

It's a good idea not to go all the way to the outside or all the way to the inside unless your one of the top 5 fastest guys on the track. You don't have to leave a lot of room, four or five feet is fine.
    If your new and you need the whole track it is a good indicator that you are riding out of your personal limits.
    By leaving a little room you increase both your safety and the guys who are passing you.

Troy

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This topic gets rehashed every couple of months, so I guess it could be considered a timeless issue. Nevertheless, here is my $0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    not to go all the way to the inside
    </div></div>

I have to disagree here. I am of the opinion that every rider is entitled to the inside line on a race track. Perhaps this is a track day mentality but it just seems the best logical conclusion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>And I completely agree with you on this one.

I am of the opinion that your speed dictates where you should be riding on the track. If you desire to ride faster and you are already using the ENTIRE track, you have not allowed any room for improvement. And thus you will not ride any faster.

New riders already have enough to think about while they are out on the track. Let's not add to their burdens by trying to dictate that they ride in a 30' lane in the middle of the track.

I would suggest that everyone ride your race but be very leery of using that last 2' on the outside edge of the track unless you absolutely need it.

And since we don't have turn signals nor horns (okay some some of us still have/had horns on our bikes [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] ) it is imperative that we be predictable when riding.

Yes it is racing, but racing by definition is not meant to be reckless.
    --
    MoFo #1
    Ronnie

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This topic gets rehashed every couple of months, so I guess it could be considered a timeless issue. Nevertheless, here is my $0.02.

not to go all the way to the inside
    </div></div>

I have to disagree here. I am of the opinion that every rider is entitled to the inside line on a race track. Perhaps this is a track day mentality but it just seems the best logical conclusion.

</div></div>And I completely agree with you on this one.

I am of the opinion that your speed dictates where you should be riding on the track. If you desire to ride faster and you are already using the ENTIRE track, you have not allowed any room for improvement. And thus you will not ride any faster.

New riders already have enough to think about while they are out on the track. Let's not add to their burdens by trying to dictate that they ride in a 30' lane in the middle of the track.

I would suggest that everyone ride your race but be very leery of using that last 2' on the outside edge of the track unless you absolutely need it.

And since we don't have turn signals nor horns (okay some some of us still have/had horns on our bikes [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] ) it is imperative that we be predictable when riding.

Yes it is racing, but racing by definition is not meant to be reckless.
    --
    MoFo #1
    Ronnie

what about using blue flags? has it been discussed before? Personally, I would kinda like to know if someone is approaching me at a ~30mph speed differential...

what about using blue flags? has it been discussed before? Personally, I would kinda like to know if someone is approaching me at a ~30mph speed differential...

Look at the endurance lap times 20's to 40's, CW's would be waving the blue flag constantly. It would keep the CW's from falling asleep tho!

j/k

David

Look at the endurance lap times 20's to 40's, CW's would be waving the blue flag constantly. It would keep the CW's from falling asleep tho!

j/k

David

Norm McDonald

This is one of the reasons we started the mentor program and started the early rider meeting for all new riders to talk about this and other info for new riders. We need to encourge ALL new riders to attend these meetings not only to get advice but to ask questions. We have top Expert riders there to help our new CMRA riders. It seams to be working but some of new riders are not attending. Please encourage any new riders you know to attend. Thanks Norm

Norm McDonald

This is one of the reasons we started the mentor program and started the early rider meeting for all new riders to talk about this and other info for new riders. We need to encourge ALL new riders to attend these meetings not only to get advice but to ask questions. We have top Expert riders there to help our new CMRA riders. It seams to be working but some of new riders are not attending. Please encourage any new riders you know to attend. Thanks Norm