Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prefered Shift Pattern

Status
    Expert

Re: Prefered Shift Pattern

I use GP pattern, some time it is better. Turn 1 at TWS not so much, hard to get a down shift going into 1. But last 3 turns at MSR it works great. So it changes track to track.
    Darnell Dorsey
    Expert 87

Status
    Expert

I use GP pattern, some time it is better. Turn 1 at TWS not so much, hard to get a down shift going into 1. But last 3 turns at MSR it works great. So it changes track to track.
    Darnell Dorsey
    Expert 87

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Christopher Corder:
    I dont think it is much of an advantage either way. I can think of two champions off the top of my head that use street shift, Mladin and Falt. </div></div>Schwantz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Christopher Corder:
    I dont think it is much of an advantage either way. I can think of two champions off the top of my head that use street shift, Mladin and Falt. </div></div>Schwantz

Status
    Expert

Wayne Gardner is another.
    Darnell Dorsey
    Expert 87

Status
    Expert

Wayne Gardner is another.
    Darnell Dorsey
    Expert 87

I found another advantage to GP shift... It seems I can run my shift lever a lot higher.

Also downshifting under hard braking seems a lot more natural to me..

I donno, it really depends on the rider for the most of it.

I think downshifting is far more crucial than upshifting, since upshifting is usually done coming out of a corner (easy) where downshifting is usually on braking or coming into a corner (hard... different body position, more force, ect..). For me it is a lot easier to downshift with GP shifting.. Now only if I could figure out how to grab 3 downshifts instead of only 2 with any style shifting through turn 1, I would be set...
    ---------------------------
    EX # 459, big dude with duct tape leathers! *formerly duct tape leathers*

I found another advantage to GP shift... It seems I can run my shift lever a lot higher.

Also downshifting under hard braking seems a lot more natural to me..

I donno, it really depends on the rider for the most of it.

I think downshifting is far more crucial than upshifting, since upshifting is usually done coming out of a corner (easy) where downshifting is usually on braking or coming into a corner (hard... different body position, more force, ect..). For me it is a lot easier to downshift with GP shifting.. Now only if I could figure out how to grab 3 downshifts instead of only 2 with any style shifting through turn 1, I would be set...
    ---------------------------
    EX # 459, big dude with duct tape leathers! *formerly duct tape leathers*

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ara Tidwell:
    Once you go GP, you never go back :-)
    </div></div>Wrong. I went GP, and I am happily back with standard shift.

Per someone else's comment, downshifting is much more critical than upshifting. Miss a downshift, and probably 80% of the time, you are at high risk of going off track. Miss an upshift, and you lose 0.1 sec on that lap. Pushing down with your foot on the shifter is a much more positive action than pulling up with your toe. Therefore...

Of course, I also share something with another regular shift-lover: busted left foot (Mladin, right?).

Don't worry John R., I won't go into my whole tirade here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ara Tidwell:
    Once you go GP, you never go back :-)
    </div></div>Wrong. I went GP, and I am happily back with standard shift.

Per someone else's comment, downshifting is much more critical than upshifting. Miss a downshift, and probably 80% of the time, you are at high risk of going off track. Miss an upshift, and you lose 0.1 sec on that lap. Pushing down with your foot on the shifter is a much more positive action than pulling up with your toe. Therefore...

Of course, I also share something with another regular shift-lover: busted left foot (Mladin, right?).

Don't worry John R., I won't go into my whole tirade here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
    David B.