Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TWS 1.8 Mile Course Info

Re: TWS 1.8 Mile Course Info

On the literbikes, Ara Tidwell had Heath Small and Craig Montgomery on the rader at 182 as they turn into turn 1.

on my stock 03 R6 with 15/50 gearing (-1, +2) I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th right as i needed to start breaking. Speedo said 182 but not accurate due to sprocket sizes.

Michael,

Thanks for adding to the information. Would you double check your number and let me know what you find? In his report/post dated April 25, 2005 Ara reports <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In one of the early A races, I forget which one, the one that Craig Montgomery won, Heath Small was clocked at 168mph after edging his way past Craig on the front straight. This was the weekends fastest speed. On the same bike, Heath was running a consistant 166mph throughout the day.</div></div>Are you sure about that 182 mph?

Nathan,

Thanks for an additional data point. Man that is fast sprocket change or not! The 10% additional reduction ratio provided by the sprocket changes you describe would result in an 11.1% (1.00/0.90=1.111) increase in speedometer reading which when factored into your noted 182 mph observation would yield 163.8 mph. Additionally, OEM speedos typically read high to the tune of 5% to 10%, so Ara's reported 150 mph peak speed for the 600 cc machines is not in disagreement with your observation.
    #731 N
    '97 Buell Cyclone

David,

I'd sure appreciate knowing. It looks like Ty turned a very impressive 1:10.497 on a ZX-6R, so I'd be surprised if he or one of his competition didn't crack through the old 1997 1:09.06 lap record if that is they had a chance at the 1.8 mile course on a literbike. Looks like in October the literbike classes ran the long course though. I could be wrong; might have easily missed one of the A classes that ran the 1.8 mile course.
    #731 N
    '97 Buell Cyclone

Blake,
    I could have sworn it was 182, as I was standing there video tapping it. I guess I had it wrong. If I can find that video, I double check.

Thanks Michael, that would be outstanding. I appreciate your help on this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    #731 N
    '97 Buell Cyclone