Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Talk about shooting your self in the foot... (mildly gross/graphic)

Re: Talk about shooting your self in the foot... (mildly gross/graphic)

They can get the balistics of the bullet it still looks clean. If the gun was sold in the last 5 years or so they will be on record. TIIIMMMMY
    Im not Fast your just really slow!!!

They can get the balistics of the bullet it still looks clean. If the gun was sold in the last 5 years or so they will be on record. TIIIMMMMY
    Im not Fast your just really slow!!!

I put this up on a gun board and seems "Mythbusters" did a thing on shooting straight up and how the returning bullet would not have enough remaining velocity due to tumble and air resistance to be fatal. However, I don't wanna do any experiments.

I think John was sitting and his foot was probably propped up or at least on his heal, not flat on the ground. I'm thinkin' someone was firing fast as they could and muzzle climb caused the bullets to fire into the ether. Doesn't appear to be any bend in that bullet from contact with the ground or anything.

I'd already left the track when it happened. I'm just danged glad I didn't lose a friend this weekend. That was just too danged close. I'm still freakin' over it.

On this gun board, there was a forensics expert posting that when someone is hit in the foot like this, it is very hard to back track the trajectory of the bullet because there is just no way of determining the position of the foot at the time. I just glad John's foot was there, because on that paved ground, that thing could have ricocheted into someone or a kid or something. Better John's foot that someones head! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] That would have been fatal.

All this happened after the racing around 5 in the afternoon. I was somewhere around Wharton in my van at the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    WRW Racing Mini Endurance

I put this up on a gun board and seems "Mythbusters" did a thing on shooting straight up and how the returning bullet would not have enough remaining velocity due to tumble and air resistance to be fatal. However, I don't wanna do any experiments.

I think John was sitting and his foot was probably propped up or at least on his heal, not flat on the ground. I'm thinkin' someone was firing fast as they could and muzzle climb caused the bullets to fire into the ether. Doesn't appear to be any bend in that bullet from contact with the ground or anything.

I'd already left the track when it happened. I'm just danged glad I didn't lose a friend this weekend. That was just too danged close. I'm still freakin' over it.

On this gun board, there was a forensics expert posting that when someone is hit in the foot like this, it is very hard to back track the trajectory of the bullet because there is just no way of determining the position of the foot at the time. I just glad John's foot was there, because on that paved ground, that thing could have ricocheted into someone or a kid or something. Better John's foot that someones head! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] That would have been fatal.

All this happened after the racing around 5 in the afternoon. I was somewhere around Wharton in my van at the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chase Vivion:
    Proof being it is more dangerous to watch a mini "race" than it is to actually compete in one! </div></div>You're saying that mini racing being safer than big bikes is a BAD thing? Not for me it ain't. I've been there and done that. Minis is dangerous enough, though. I messed up my right shoulder a couple of years ago and you should have seen Emmett's leg after a 5 mph get off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

But, part of the appeal of mini racing is the fact that I ain't pushin' 160 mph. Part of it is the low cost (okay, a lot of it), and part of it is the unreal good competition on those tiny tracks. Maybe I lack testosterone in my old age, more like I lack money or desire to race 600s or bigger, but I don't need to run 180 mph to have a good time on the race track anymore. A good bar bangin' battle at 40 mph gets me goin' better. :p

Now, then, before I head back to Katy next spring, I'm thinking about a Kevlar issue military helmet and perhaps a flack jacket.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chase Vivion:
    Proof being it is more dangerous to watch a mini "race" than it is to actually compete in one! </div></div>You're saying that mini racing being safer than big bikes is a BAD thing? Not for me it ain't. I've been there and done that. Minis is dangerous enough, though. I messed up my right shoulder a couple of years ago and you should have seen Emmett's leg after a 5 mph get off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

But, part of the appeal of mini racing is the fact that I ain't pushin' 160 mph. Part of it is the low cost (okay, a lot of it), and part of it is the unreal good competition on those tiny tracks. Maybe I lack testosterone in my old age, more like I lack money or desire to race 600s or bigger, but I don't need to run 180 mph to have a good time on the race track anymore. A good bar bangin' battle at 40 mph gets me goin' better. :p

Now, then, before I head back to Katy next spring, I'm thinking about a Kevlar issue military helmet and perhaps a flack jacket.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Kevlar Spats.
    They're making a comeback.
    Maybe a cane and a cape too.
    OnRoad OffRoad Suspension - Ktech, JRI, Penske, Öhlins, MUPO, GP Suspension, RaceTech

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Kevlar Spats.
    They're making a comeback.
    Maybe a cane and a cape too.
    OnRoad OffRoad Suspension - Ktech, JRI, Penske, Öhlins, MUPO, GP Suspension, RaceTech

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tim Chason:
    223 hum. AR15 Sweet gun but very dangerous in the wromg hands.</div></div>Who said it was an AR? A lot of weapons shoot the .223 Remington and/or 5.56mm NATO round. Sounds to me like Tim just implicated himself by supposition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Ballistics is an interesting science. Conic shapes retain energy and momentum far longer than blunt shapes do. Tumble and instability are factors, yes, especially over distance. Rifling is only good for a relatively short amount of time - not very far in the relatively light 55 grain .223 round. (If you still have the round, John, you should weigh it - it is likely between 45 and 68 grains; I'd bet 55 grains as standard NATO fare.)

Poor John was in the wrong spot at the wrong time for a foot injury, but lucky John was in the right spot at the right time to avoid a worse injury!

And Jack, I know you're not responsible because you're too responsible with this kind of stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Which reminds me, it's almost time for me to pay you a visit and bag some birds, eh?
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tim Chason:
    223 hum. AR15 Sweet gun but very dangerous in the wromg hands.</div></div>Who said it was an AR? A lot of weapons shoot the .223 Remington and/or 5.56mm NATO round. Sounds to me like Tim just implicated himself by supposition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Ballistics is an interesting science. Conic shapes retain energy and momentum far longer than blunt shapes do. Tumble and instability are factors, yes, especially over distance. Rifling is only good for a relatively short amount of time - not very far in the relatively light 55 grain .223 round. (If you still have the round, John, you should weigh it - it is likely between 45 and 68 grains; I'd bet 55 grains as standard NATO fare.)

Poor John was in the wrong spot at the wrong time for a foot injury, but lucky John was in the right spot at the right time to avoid a worse injury!

And Jack, I know you're not responsible because you're too responsible with this kind of stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Which reminds me, it's almost time for me to pay you a visit and bag some birds, eh?
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer