Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Tech clarifications, oil filters and bellypans

Re: Tech clarifications, oil filters and bellypans

Leo, Yes, belly pans must be off. Instead of declaring that certain models have them removed it is more democratic to just say everybody. By the way, no one got 'chewed out' at the hill unless they uttered any of my favorite sayings- "it passed last time" or "thats not in the rule book"

Pax,Kevin the still happy tech guy

Leo, Yes, belly pans must be off. Instead of declaring that certain models have them removed it is more democratic to just say everybody. By the way, no one got 'chewed out' at the hill unless they uttered any of my favorite sayings- "it passed last time" or "thats not in the rule book"

Pax,Kevin the still happy tech guy

(I had this in its own thread originally, but it got no love there so I deleted it and am trying this thread. If I'm putting this question in the wrong place, can someone please point me in the right direction?)

Hi. I have an older bike (Yamaha FZR400) that I am prepping and I am hoping to make tech as painless as possible for me and the inspector(s).

The bike has fork drain plugs, and they are going to be awkward to safety wire--they are small Phillips head plugs seated in a recession cast into the fork tube. Another old-bike guy I ran into at a track day told me the tech inspector has allowed him to use aluminum-backed tape to secure his fork drain plugs, and showed me that he had done so on his bike.

Is the metallic tape going to be okay for my fork drain plugs? I don't want to put in hours of work trying to figure out how to wire these things if I don't have to, but I REALLY don't want to be scrambling around on race day trying figure it out at the track if the tape turns out to be unacceptable.

Thanks,

Andrew Sukach
    Prov-Nov #529

(I had this in its own thread originally, but it got no love there so I deleted it and am trying this thread. If I'm putting this question in the wrong place, can someone please point me in the right direction?)

Hi. I have an older bike (Yamaha FZR400) that I am prepping and I am hoping to make tech as painless as possible for me and the inspector(s).

The bike has fork drain plugs, and they are going to be awkward to safety wire--they are small Phillips head plugs seated in a recession cast into the fork tube. Another old-bike guy I ran into at a track day told me the tech inspector has allowed him to use aluminum-backed tape to secure his fork drain plugs, and showed me that he had done so on his bike.

Is the metallic tape going to be okay for my fork drain plugs? I don't want to put in hours of work trying to figure out how to wire these things if I don't have to, but I REALLY don't want to be scrambling around on race day trying figure it out at the track if the tape turns out to be unacceptable.

Thanks,

Andrew Sukach
    Prov-Nov #529

Blog Entries

You don't have to safeT wire them. Silicone or the alum. tape will work.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

Blog Entries

You don't have to safeT wire them. Silicone or the alum. tape will work.
    VonHertell.com
    Road & Track Suspension
    CMRA BOD 2000-2003

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Derek Delpero:
    I'm not sure though what my drinking too much cheap tequila has to do with safety wiring? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] </div></div>I am you and you are me... I am the Walrus. Koo koo ka choo.
    Derek Heaton
    Chief Technical Inspector/Grid Marshal (retired)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Derek Delpero:
    I'm not sure though what my drinking too much cheap tequila has to do with safety wiring? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] </div></div>I am you and you are me... I am the Walrus. Koo koo ka choo.
    Derek Heaton
    Chief Technical Inspector/Grid Marshal (retired)

Will this pass for my oil filler cap?

Will this pass for my oil filler cap?