Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech clarifications, oil filters and bellypans

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: Tech clarifications, oil filters and bellypans

Anyone have pix of how their SV's oil filter was wired. Mine is pretty secure, and had made it through tech so far, but Derek D did comment he wasn't thrilled about my wiring, since it wasn't parallel to the clamp. Problem is, I don't see a good anchor point that would put it parallel.

I know a ton of SVs are out there and must be making Derek happier than I did, and that I'm probably missing some obvious method.

Any education appreciated.

Thanks
    Roger
    OnRoad OffRoad Suspension - Ktech, JRI, Penske, Öhlins, MUPO, GP Suspension, RaceTech

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Anyone have pix of how their SV's oil filter was wired. Mine is pretty secure, and had made it through tech so far, but Derek D did comment he wasn't thrilled about my wiring, since it wasn't parallel to the clamp. Problem is, I don't see a good anchor point that would put it parallel.

I know a ton of SVs are out there and must be making Derek happier than I did, and that I'm probably missing some obvious method.

Any education appreciated.

Thanks
    Roger
    OnRoad OffRoad Suspension - Ktech, JRI, Penske, Öhlins, MUPO, GP Suspension, RaceTech

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Was it Delpero or me that didn't like it?

You know, you have 360 degrees to find something to wire it to. Sometimes, you can drill a small hole in a knock-off tab on the pan.

The reason I didn't like yours was because safety wire has no torsional rigidity, so if you go parallel to the axis you screw something, you are not getting maximum strength.
    Derek Heaton
    Chief Technical Inspector/Grid Marshal (retired)

Was it Delpero or me that didn't like it?

You know, you have 360 degrees to find something to wire it to. Sometimes, you can drill a small hole in a knock-off tab on the pan.

The reason I didn't like yours was because safety wire has no torsional rigidity, so if you go parallel to the axis you screw something, you are not getting maximum strength.
    Derek Heaton

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Delpero, but I understand both of your meanings.
    Just haven't found a good place, even going all 360-like.

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Delpero, but I understand both of your meanings.
    Just haven't found a good place, even going all 360-like.

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com

Roger, I'm pretty sure mine is pulling clockwise, and is a perpendicular tangent to the radius at the point of attachment, so I'll snap a couple of pics when I get home from work if no one else does before then.

Roger, I'm pretty sure mine is pulling clockwise, and is a perpendicular tangent to the radius at the point of attachment, so I'll snap a couple of pics when I get home from work if no one else does before then.

NNNolden, That is exactly the way that everything should be wired. Thanks for using the geometric terms. Sometimes, I don't think it gets through to some people.
    Derek Heaton

NNNolden, That is exactly the way that everything should be wired. Thanks for using the geometric terms. Sometimes, I don't think it gets through to some people.
    Derek Heaton